Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

My friend from Russia is applying tourist visa to visit me

Customer Question

Hi. My friend from Russia is applying for a tourist visa to visit me in California for two weeks. She was here in the USA a little more than a year ago on a Fulbright scholarship attending school at UC Berkeley. While here she had a social security number which was valid for work only with DHS authorization. Should she declare that she had a social security card when she applies for the tourist visa or might it count against her? She's only coming for holiday, not to work and I believe this was just a temporary SS number they give to foreign students. Thanks for your answer.
Mark Gilman
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

While here she had a social security number which was valid for work only with DHS authorization. Should she declare that she had a social security card when she applies for the tourist visa or might it count against her?

Yes, she should. And no, it should not count against her provided she had the SSN via valid means, which USCIS and the consulate/embassy should know and understand, of course. And that SSN is now invalid, anyhow. She may wish to include a cover letter with her documentation that explains that the SSN was valid, and temporary (just in case the consular agent reviewing the case is new).

It should not count against her.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.