How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 109281
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question. I was arrested (domestic violence) about

Customer Question

Hi, I have a question. I was arrested for battery (domestic violence) about 1 month ago. It was a misdemeanor and since it was my first arrest I was released with pre trial. I just found out about an up coming trip out of the country and I asked my pre trial officer if I'm allowed to travel internationally and I was told I most be granted permission by a judge but this takes a while. Will I be in trouble if I decide to leave the country? It's only for a week
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Are you a U.S. Citizen or a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident or do you have some other status in the U.S.?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks. I'm a usa citizen.
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Ok. That's good. It doesn't matter for how long it is, but if the case is still open, you should at least get permission from the prosecutor to travel. Contact the prosecutor in your case and ask them for permission to travel. That would be the fastest and safest way to go about it. If they decline, you would have to file a motion with the court requesting permission and send a copy to the prosecutor. If the trip is very soon, you can file it as an emergency motion and explain that he trip is soon and would cause a significant financial loss if you were not granted the permission to go. If you do not get permission, you would be rolling the dice, so to speak. Because it is a relatively minor crime, the court and prosecutor may not even become aware that you left and came back, but it is a risk. The only way to guarantee you won't have a problem coming back (meaning risking arrest at the port of entry) is to get permission from either the prosecutor or the judge.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello Caro. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.