How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Judith Ludwic Your Own Question
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 28833
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Judith Ludwic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im a US citizen wishing to marry a Romanian citizen in

Customer Question

Im a US citizen wishing to marry a Romanian citizen in Romania. I know as a US citizen I don't need a tourist visa to enter the country just a passport but does that allow me to marry while there? Or is there something else I must apply for ahead of time?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

Here are steps a US citizen must take to marry in Romania per the US Dept of State website for the Embassy in Romania:

Marriage in Romania

Romanian documentary requirements for foreigners wishing to marry a Romanian citizen in Romania:

The Government of Romania legally recognizes only civil marriage ceremonies that are performed in the City Hall in the area where the Romanian citizen resides. Many couples also choose to hold a religious ceremony after the completion of the civil ceremony. The following documents from the U.S. citizen are needed by the Mayor’s Office to authorize marriage to a Romanian citizen:

ALL public documents issued or obtained in the U.S. must be authenticatedfor use in Romania with an Apostille certificate. The apostille certificate must be affixed to the document by a competent U.S. authority. Each state has a competent authority (generally it is the office of the Secretary of State in the state where the document was issued). For additional information and a list of competent authorities, please use the following link to the website of the Department of State: Apostille Requirements.

Documents required for marriage in Romania of a US citizen:

  1. Certified copy of the birth certificate, authenticated with apostille, plus Romanian translation of the birth certificate obtained from a Romanian Notary Public office.
  2. Affidavit (notarized statement) that the American citizen is free to marry (Certificat de cutuma). The affidavit is obtained from the US Embassy in Bucharest (the American Citizen Services in the Consular Section) by appointment only. To make an appointment, please click here. The fee is 50.00 USD and the US passport must be presented when signing the affidavit.
  3. Prenuptial Certificate (Health Certificate) obtained from a clinic in the Romanian city/town where your marriage will take place.
  4. Proof of termination of any previous marriages, original or certified copy, with a translation in Romanian (i.e. Divorce/Annulment Decree, Death Certificate).

In order to enter the U.S. to reside following a marriage in Romania, your foreign spouse must obtain an immigrant visa. You should first file an I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, on behalf of your spouse with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) Center having jurisdiction over your place of residence. If the petition is approved, your spouse must then obtain an immigrant visa (IR-1 or CR-1) at a U.S. embassy or consulate abroad. Please visit the website of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services ( for the forms, required supporting documentation and information on where to file them. The processing time for these petitions varies among Service Centers and also can depend on the circumstances of the individual case.

I see this is the first time you are using JA and I am eager to make this a positive experience for you. Please ask follow-up questions if my answer is not clear.
Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face or 3+ stars
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand the documents required to marry in Romania. But legally, am I allowed to just visit the country and marry a Romanian national within my 90 day visit? Or do I need to apply for something in advance? From what I've read, you cant marry while visiting on a travel or short-stay visa. But as a US citizen, I don't require either to travel into the country.
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

There does not appear to be a visa requirement to go there to marry, such as a "fiance" visa since you do not have any plan to remain there long term.

These are the only type of Romanian visas:

Types of visas granted and issued by Romania:

1. The airport transit visa (A-type): it allows the access of aliens into the international area of an airport until their access is allowed on board of the plane towards the country of destination;

2. The transit visa (B-type): it allows the transit of aliens through the territory of Romania, for a period of up to 5 days;

3. The short-stay visa (C-type): it allows the entry and the short-term stay on the territory of Romania for a period of up to 90 days within an interval of maximum 180 days from the date of entry (in the case of a multiple-entry visa, the period of residence will be taken into account starting with the date of the first entry and the duration of stay will be the sum of the individual stays in this period). The Romanian short-stay visa is granted for the following purposes: for an official government mission (C/M), for tourism (C/TU), business (C/A), private visit (C/VV), transportation (C/TR), sports activities (C/SP), as well as cultural, scientific, humanitarian or other purposes (C/ZA). The period of stay cannot be extended under no circumstances.

4. The long-stay visa (D-type): it allows the entry and the residence on the territory of Romania, for a period of maximum 90 days (maximum validitz is also 180 days), for the following purposes: diplomatic and mission assignment (D/DS), economic activities (D/AE), professional activities (D/AP), commercial activities, such as investments (D/AC), religious activities (D/AR), work (D/AM), studying (D/SD), family reunification (D/VF), temporary work assignment (D/DT), research (D/CS), as well as other puposes (D/AS). In this case, the residence can be extended at request over the 90 days, by the issuance of a temporary residence permit. The application for the residence permit has to be filed with the Romanian Immigration Office, at least 30 days before their right to reside in Romania granted by the visa expires. Failing to do so, the visa will be canceled and its holder has to leave Romania.

Since laws can change without notice you should contact the Chancery prior to your making final travel plans

Chancery of the Embassy


Address: 1607 23rd Street, NW, Washington, DC 20008

Phone: +1(###) ###-#### +1(###) ###-####/p>