Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

I am a card holder and am planning to apply a reentry permit

Customer Question
I am a green card...
I am a green card holder and am planning to apply a reentry permit in 2016 on account of personal reasons that have compelled me to take up a job in India. Following are my questions: 1. How long does the process typically take - from filing the application
to approval? I understand that the biometric appointment can take anywhere between 3-4 weeks after filing; is this a correct estimate? 2. I will be joining my new job on Nov 16, 2015. I plan to be back in mid-January for a couple of weeks and then make another
trip to the US towards the end of May or first week of June. This is the time (June 2016) I plan to apply for the reentry permit. Is this a feasible plan, might there be any risks in waiting to apply for the reentry in 2016 instead of applying right way i.e
in Nov or Dec 2015 itself? 3. Can I travel in between filing the application and the biometrics? 4. Can I postpone the biometrics appointment? If so, for how long? Does postponing the biometrics also postpone the approval of the reentry permit? I would imagine
so, but just confirming. 5. Are there risks associated with leaving the US before completing the biometrics or associated with postponing the biometrics? Thank you in advance for your assistance!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
11/6/2015
Immigration Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello, I am James. I will be helping you today. I do not get a salary here. But just like you, I want to get credit for doing my job. You are the only person who can help me get credit before leaving this site today. So please do not forget to do that by giving me a positive rating with 3 or more stars or any of the smiling faces.

Also, if you want me to be your personal immigration Expert, just write “FOR JAMES" at the beginning of any future, new questions, and I will be happy to help you as your personal Expert.

ANSWER: It takes anywhere from 3 to 5 months.

Yes, this is feasible. But there are also risks. Because the re-entry permit does not protect you absolutely. If the USCIS has reason to believe that you've shown, in your actions, that you have intentionally abandoned your intent to remain a permanent resident, they can revoke the status. Note that taking voluntary employment abroad is one of those signs that you've intended to o longer remain a permanent resident in the US.

So make sure you keep very strong ties int he US throughout this process, in case you are asked to prove that you did not intend to abandon your permanent resident status.

I know these issues can be confusing. If you want to talk on the phone for a fee, I can send you an offer for that.

I hope I have answered your questions. Kindly rate my customer service with a positive rating so I get credit for doing my job. This is very important. You can do that by giving me 3 or more stars, or any of the smiling faces. And you can keep asking questions even after you have given a rating.

REMINDER: You are not rating the state of the law or the outcome of your situation, which I cannot control. You are rating my customer service. Believe me that I always want to give you good news. But if the outcome is not what you wanted, blame the government and the law, not me. I am only a messenger.

Negative ratings are reserved for Professionals who are rude or unprofessional. Giving me a negative rating does not help you get a different answer or outcome. So do not give a negative rating if you need more help, or if I misunderstood your question. Instead click REPLY so I can continue to assist you.

A BONUS is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you have questions in the future, write “FOR JAMES" in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.

Thank you!

Thank you for your response. I know I had asked a lot of questions. Could you also respond to questions 3, 4 and 5?I will have my home, will be filing taxes, will maintain bank accounts, driver's license, credit cards to show ties to the US. Are these enough to show ties to the US?Also as part of my question in # ***** is the biometric appointment typically scheduled take 3-4 weeks after filing of the application?

Sorry about that. I didn't see those questions initially.

3. Yes, you can travel while it is processing.

4. Yes, you can make a request to reschedule the appointment. They will let you know when the new scheduled appointment is. There is no standard amount of time; I've seen two weeks up to 30 days. Postponing delays processing.

5. There are no risks with postponing or traveling in the interim, other than those I mentioned initially.

6. Those ties are good ties. But property and family ties are the strongest. Note that there is no specific list of items. They look at the totality of the circumstances. The stronger the tie, the better.

7. Yes, you can expect biometrics appointments in about 3-4 weeks.

Kindly remember to give me a positive rating before leaving this site today. I do not get a salary here, so your positive rating is the only way I am rewarded for doing my job. If that does not happen, it is as if I never worked, which I am sure you agree would not be an ideal outcome. So please do not forget to give me 3 or more stars, or any smiling faces, in order to help me get credit for doing my job.

Thank you!

Hi again,

I received a message that you reviewed my response and you require additional assistance. However I cannot see your correspondence above.

Please post it again, so I can continue to help you and we can close this question.

Thank you!

Expert James
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer