How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Expert James Your Own Question
Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 12052
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Expert James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just got my citizenship 3 months ago, my wife moved way

Customer Question

hi. i just got my citizenship 3 months ago, my wife moved way last week . she has another partner and so do i. can i loose my citizenship if i apply for divorce?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am James. I will be helping you today. I do not get a salary here. But just like you, I want to get credit for doing my job. You are the only person who can help me get credit before leaving this site today. So please do not forget to do that by giving me a positive rating with 3 or more stars or any of the smiling faces.

Also, if you want me to be your personal immigration Expert, just write “FOR JAMES" at the beginning of any future, new questions, and I will be happy to help you as your personal Expert.

Please answer the following:

Did you get your citizenship on the basis of marriage?

If so, how long were you a permanent resident before you applied for citizenship?

Be honest with me here - did you remain married in order to be eligible to apply for citizenship sooner? OR were you actually, still involved in a good faith marriage, NOT for the purposes of gaining benefits sooner?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i got my citizenship throw marriage. I apply for my citizenship when i had 3 years of green card. I remain married as today my wife she moved out and already leaving with somebody else, me and my wife we still very good friends , but the the marriage it didnt work out for bunch of reasons,our married it was real, we loved each other , we had a great 4 years together. I also seen this girl from Brazil, where im from and i want to make sure if we got married if she get can the green card
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i live on the state of Maryland, and here to get divorce you have to be separate from the same house one year, except if you have proof of cheering which happened from my wife side, i cant even say cheering because the marriage was not working. i will file divorce a next month when i save some money to pay a lawyer
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

But why did you remain married? Did you stay married so that you can get citizenship? Or did this all happen after you got citizenship?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we stayed married because at the time we want to be together, but like in every other relationship thinks took another direction. everything start happen a 2 months after i got the citizenship. my questions are by getting divorce it has any chance of my citizenship been take way and if i get married with any other girl can she get the green card?
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

OK, thank you very much. First, my apologies for the delay. I was offline when your responded to my last question. Please note that you responded to me almost 4 hours later.

Kindly remember to give me a positive rating before leaving this site today. I do not get a salary here, so your positive rating is the only way I am rewarded for doing my job. If that does not happen, it is as if I never worked, which I am sure you agree would not be an ideal outcome. So please do not forget to give me 3 or more stars, or any smiling faces, in order to help me get credit for doing my job. Thank you!

ANSWER: There are circumstances where a “denaturalization” can occur. One of the reasons a naturalized citizen can be stripped of citizenship is because of falsification or concealment of relevant facts. So if you were on the way to divorce, and you claimed that everything was fine (i.e., a good faith marriage continued) during the naturalization process, but it was not really, then it could be a problem. It is unlikely, but you asked if there is any chance. The answer is yes, there is a chance, even if it is small.

Yes, you can petition for someone else. However that could raise questions about whether the first marriage remained in good faith throughout the entire process, including naturalization. It will put extra scrutiny on your case as well.

I know these issues can be confusing. If you want to talk on the phone for a fee, I can send you an offer for that.

I hope I have answered your questions. Kindly rate my customer service with a positive rating so I get credit for doing my job. This is very important. You can do that by giving me 3 or more stars, or any of the smiling faces. And you can keep asking questions even after you have given a rating.

REMINDER: You are not rating the state of the law or the outcome of your situation, which I cannot control. You are rating my customer service. Believe me that I always want to give you good news. But if the outcome is not what you wanted, blame the government and the law, not me. I am only a messenger.

Negative ratings are reserved for Professionals who are rude or unprofessional. Giving me a negative rating does not help you get a different answer or outcome. So do not give a negative rating if you need more help, or if I misunderstood your question. Instead click REPLY so I can continue to assist you.

A BONUS is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you have questions in the future, write “FOR JAMES" in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.

Thank you!

Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I received a message that you reviewed my response and you require additional assistance. However I cannot see your correspondence above.

Please post it again, so I can continue to help you and we can close this question.

Thank you!

Related Immigration Law Questions