How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Expert James Your Own Question
Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 11886
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Expert James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

You have been a great help in the past just want you to know

Customer Question

Hello James; you have been a great help in the past just want you to know I appreciate it. The question I have now hopefully is a simple one. I have decided to marry the girl that I have been asking you questions about. She is Chinese but has immigrated
to new Zealand and has resided there for about three years. She has a permanent immigration visa there. She just had a visitors visa approved to visit the states and will be here about Christmas time. Embassy has informed her that her visa is valid for one
year. If we decide to marry in this time frame what documentation will it be necessary to bring with her. She was born and raised in china but is now a New Zealand citizen with a permanent immigrant visa. Does she need documents from china and new Zealand.
If so of what type and how I would get them. Any help would be appreciated.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for requesting my assistance again. And no problem - it is my pleasure to assist you. My apologies for the delay. I was out of the country and my ability to log in was limited. As for this question, please consider a BONUS for my efforts. Kindly remember to give me a positive rating before leaving this site today. I do not get a salary here, so your positive rating is the only way I am rewarded for doing my job. If that does not happen, it is as if I never worked, which I am sure you agree would not be an ideal outcome. So please do not forget to give me 3 or more stars, or any smiling faces, in order to help me get credit for doing my job. Thank you!

First, please be advised that just because the visa is issued for 1 year, it does not mean she can stay in the US for 1 year. An officer is limited to issuing entry for 6 months, maximum. The alien can apply for another 6 month, but it is up to the discretion of the USCIS to issue an additional 6 months.

As to your question, note that she cannot use the visitor visa to enter the US, with the intent of immigrating permanently. That would be a violation of immigration laws, as visa fraud.

Here you can find a list of things that are required for a marriage based adjustment of status to permanent resident (copy and paste the link in a new window):

I know these issues can be confusing. If you want to discuss this or anything else by phone, I can send you an offer for that. There will be an additional fee, if you want to do that. Please let me know and I will send you the offer.

I hope I have answered your questions. Kindly rate my customer service with a positive rating. I do not get a salary here and this is the only way I am compensated for my efforts. So please do not forget to do that before you log off. You can do that by giving me 3 or more stars, or any of the smiling faces. And you can continue to ask questions even after you have given a rating. Again, giving me a positive rating is the ONLY way I get credit for helping you.

REMINDER: You are not rating the state of the law or the outcome of your situation, which I cannot control. You are rating my customer service. Believe me that I always want to give you good news. But if the outcome is not what you wanted, blame the government and the law, not me. I am only a messenger.

A BONUS is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you have questions in the future, write “FOR JAMES" in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.

Thank you!

Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going and to confirm that you received my answers.

Do you need more help or need me to explain anything else? Please respond so that I know what to do next.

Related Immigration Law Questions