How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jen Marie, Esq. Your Own Question
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4729
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Jen Marie, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm a Canadian citizen and currently working in the US

Customer Question

I'm a Canadian citizen and currently working in the US at a University on a J1 visa. I have an offer for an additional job but I cannot do that on my J1. The office of international programs told me I can do both if I cross into Canada, come back, and
enter the US on a TN visa. I would have to show letter of employment from both employers. That sounds great but when I look online for what I need to have with me on the border I get confused. It seems there are different processes depending on where I apply.
All the information that I found are about documents I need to change status while in the US. I can't seem to find what I would need if I am just going to Canada and coming back with my letters of employment. Any information would be appreciated Thanks in
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

You would mainly need an offer letter of employment from each employer. The letter has to state that the position is for a TN approved profession. You also need to show your education documents to prove that you fulfill the requirements for the TN profession. A contract agreement from each employer is also helpful. You also just need your passport.

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.
This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .

Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jennifer,Thank you very much for your reply. I do have a couple of follow up questions.1. The university gave me a 3 year renewable contract which would end August 2017. Does my other job offer have to match that or would it not matter?2. Does it matter that I would apply for this in the middle of my contract?Thanks again!
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again.

The other job does not have to match the same terms as the first.

No it doesn't matter that it is in the middle of the contract.

Hope that helps and that I have earned your positive rating.

Related Immigration Law Questions