How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 3941
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Am american military man married a phillipino woman in the

Customer Question

Hello. Am american military man married a phillipino woman in the phillipines in 2008 and had a child and l shortly after left his wife and child because his deployment was over and returned to the states. They are still legally married and has moved on without them and refuses to work on there papers or visas or passports in order to come to the Unites States. What options do they have in order to come here?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

Did he ever physically abuse her?


Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

Did they do a consular report of birth for the child?

Is he on the child's birth certificate?

Was the child born at base hospital?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know that he is on the birth certificate, and I do believe that the baby was born on a military base. I do not know what consolur means
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not know for sure about the physical abuse
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will ask in detail all these questions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would it be possible for wife and child to get to the United States without his help?. There is proof that they are still married and that he is the father and does nothing to support them.
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

The child may be able to claim US citizenship through transmission from his US citizen father but that will not help the mother get to the US.

The US citizen child cannot petition the mother until they turn 21.

The mother cannot get here without the spouse petitioning her unless she is an abused spouse. She has to have evidence of the abuse such as reports made to his commanding officer, police, medical reports, pictures of injuries, etc.


Related Immigration Law Questions