Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
28679807

We are trying to get my sons wife to come here from

Customer Question

We are trying to get my sons wife to come here from Indonesia. He is employed but was told that we should co sponsor her and that will help the process along. What does this entail
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

You would be considered a Joint Sponsor. The form used is I-864. Basically it means that you would be financially responsible if the person you are joint sponsoring comes to the US and has to use a government means tested benefit. You and your son will be responsible for paying for benefits if the government shall ask to be paid back. This would still apply, unless she gives up her green card, becomes a US citizenship (after 3 years of being here as a permanent resident), works her own 40 quarters in the US, or dies. Divorce would not nullify this. You can read more about it here http://www.immihelp.com/affidavit-of-support/sponsor-responsibilities-obligations.html

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.
This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .

Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.