How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 3963
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an Indian resident and an IT Network Engineer, who has

Customer Question

I am an Indian resident and an IT Network Engineer, who has a visitor's visa. I wanted to know the options by which I could most quickly get a legal status in the United State. My parents filed a petition in 2011 under the f3 category. My education is bachelor of commerce and I am specialized in Microsoft certified system engineer and Cisco certified network associate. I have 12 years of experience in the IT field.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am James. I will be helping you today. I do not get a salary here. But just like you, I want to get credit for doing my job. You are the only person who can help me get credit before leaving this site today. So please do not forget to do that by giving me a positive rating with 3 or more stars or any of the smiling faces.

Also, if you want me to be your personal immigration Expert, just write “FOR JAMES" at the beginning of any future, new questions, and I will be happy to help you as your personal Expert.

Please answer the following:

Are you in the US now on the visitor visa and wanting to change status? Or are you outside of the US now and seeking to enter in some status other than visitor status?

Do you have any employers wishing to sponsor you yet?

Are you seeking permanent or temporary status (even for several years)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is for for James"I am right now in the US on a visitors visa and I wanted to change my status to a permanent resident. I do not have any employers willing to sponsor me yet. Can I please get a response ASAP.
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.


You will get an answer once I have all of the relevant information I need to be able to help you, and I have been given time to compose a thoughtful, accurate response. Like you, I want to help you as efficiently as possible, but sometimes there are delays because I am working with several other people at the same time. Your patience and understanding is very much appreciated.

Kindly remember to give me a positive rating before leaving this site today. I do not get a salary here, so your positive rating is the only way I am rewarded for doing my job. If that does not happen, it is as if I never worked, which I am sure you agree would not be an ideal outcome. So please do not forget to give me 3 or more stars, or any smiling faces, in order to help me get credit for doing my job. Thank you!

Also, no need to write "FOR JAMES" once we are engaged int he question That is just for future, new quesitons you post in new threads.

ANSWER: First, there are only a few ways one is eligible for adjustment of status to permanent resident. Employment is one of them. And without an employer, or some extraordinary ability on your part, that is not going to be possible.

There are immigrant investor statuses that allow for a green card, but that requires an investment of at least $500,000, which it sounds like is also not an options.

What's left for adjustment to permanent resident (green card), then, are the following:

- family based immigration (if you have parents, siblings, adult children who are US citizens or permanent residents);

- asylum (if you have been or have a well founded fear of being persecuted in your home country); or

- Diversity Visa lottery

Which of those options for a green card do you want some information about?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to know more information about the option of asylum. Currently in India there have been many riots against Patels, because of the social unrest between the castes. Also, are there any documents required from my home country for me to receive a permanent residency through an asylum. Currently, my son is India, as we have not brought him to America. How long would the process take for me to get a permanent residency in the US through the asylum process. Also, would I ever be able to go back go my home country if I receive permanent residency through the asylum process and if so after how long.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The previous reply was "for James".
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Sorry for the delay. I was offline when you responded, but I am back now. My apologies for any inconvenience this might have caused you.

Please answer the following:

How old is your son?

Do you know anyone specifically who has been persecuted on that basis?

Have you been persecuted on that basis?

Is this a well-known issue?

It is the government who is persecuting? Or it is some other group that the government is unwilling or unable to stop?