How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 102142
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am marrying a Chinese national next week. She lives in

Customer Question

I am marrying a Chinese national next week. She lives in Wuhan Hubei. I am currently in China with her. What is necessary for me to do to obtain a spousal visa and stay in China longer than 60 days with the current tourist visa I have now?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Just to confirm, your question is about Chinese law not US immigration?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Ok I will change .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will just have this conversation by typing it rather than a live chat.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Your previous expert has opted out and I have opted in. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

A permanent residence permit based on marriage to a PRC national is not available until the marriage has lasted at least 5 years. Until that time, the non-PRC spouse needs a Q visa. The Q category is for spouses and family members, and allows you to stay in China to be with your family. There are two types of Q visas - Q1 and Q2. Q1 is for longer stays. Q2 is for 180 days or less. Specifically, one wants a Q1 visa, which allows a time limit of up to 2 years, and can be renewed. You can find more information on how to apply for a Q1 visa HERE.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!

Related Immigration Law Questions