How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 3963
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am looking to marry my boyfriend who is a US citizen. I am

Customer Question

I am looking to marry my boyfriend who is a US citizen. I am a UK citizen. Is it best for him to apply for a fiance visa and if so, can I continue to visit him under the ESTA visa whilsts its going through or, would it be easier for us to get married outside the US and to apply for a green card. Could we live together in the US pending the application process?
I have given notice on my job (6 months) and am in the process of selling my house.
Submitted: 1 year ago via ForeignBorn.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am James. I will be helping you today. I do not get a salary here. But just like you, I want to get credit for doing my job. You are the only person who can help me get credit before leaving this site today. So please do not forget to do that by giving me a positive rating with 3 or more stars or any of the smiling faces.

Also, if you want me to be your personal immigration Expert, just write “FOR JAMES" at the beginning of any future, new questions, and I will be happy to help you as your personal Expert.

Really the way you do it depends on when you intend or want to be in the US. Note, the difference is about 3 to 5 months.

The fiance visa takes less time than the marriage based immigration process. But it means when you come to the US, you would have to take an additional step and it would cost additional fees. You also would have to wait until you get employment authorization to be able to work.

With the immigrant visa process, you will enter the US as a permanent resident and can work immediately, but it takes a little longer for you to get here.

Which process would you like more information about?