How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 3963
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a permanent resident here in United States and I am on

Customer Question

I am a permanent resident here in United States and I am on a process petitioning my Filipino son from the Philippines which we currently submitting documents now in NVC but we just found out that we needed to get another copy of his birth certificate from NSO Philippines and when my mom went there to request the said document
They told my mom that my son has 2 records of birth which is the original one is carrying his biological father last name and the other one is carrying my last name. What's the best thing to do? Becoz they won't issue us the late registration one which carries my last name and that's what the USCIS and NVC has for his records.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) please wait to rate until I ask you to do so. It may take a few replies for me to be able to render an complete answer. I will let you know when I do.

Did you formally adopt or gain legal guardianship of your stepson in the Philippines? Or is putting your name on the birth certificate all that is needed? OR, was the second certificate with your name issued after you received a court order?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.

Hello! Just touching base to see if you still needed an answer and if you could reply to my query. Thanks!