How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 3933
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a newly admitted immigrant under A31 category. My

Customer Question

I am a newly admitted immigrant under A31 category. My sponsoring employer did withdraw his offer at the last minute saying he is negotiating selling his centre, whilst the truth is he wanted me to sign a 5 years flat contract. Can I search for a new employer? What claims can I make to preserve my rights?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello - my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

Are you sure it's under A31 category? A31 Immigrant Visa Married Amerasian son or daughter of a US citizen born in Cambodia, Korea, Laos, Thailand, or Vietnam. INA 203(d), 204(g).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
E31 sorry for that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After threatening, I was forced to sign the contract, emailed it to them and receipt was acknowledged. Only 4 days later, I receive an email notice that the offer is being withdrawn due to them being currently sold. I worked on the process for 4 years and paid all immigration fees as well as legal fees myself not the sponsor, as was agreed from the start.
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

But you received your green card already?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a stamp on my passport that would be a green card for a year till I actually receive the plastic card by mail.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That would be enough?
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you are technically a permanent resident already.

For now, your green card has not been revoked. There is a possibility that it could be because you never worked for the employer. However, it's possible that nothing will happen. For now, you are a permanent resident still so You are allowed to search for a new employer. You don't have to make any claims. You have not done anything wrong. You are not tied to your previous employer.

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.
This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .

Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.