How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Judith Ludwic Your Own Question
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 28862
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Judith Ludwic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like to apply girl friend who is living out of the

Customer Question

I would like to apply for my girl friend who is living out of the U.S, in order to bring her to the country under fiance visa.I am a U.S citizen and I live in Sacramento,CA.What are my steps and how long does the whole processes take?What forms do I need to fill out? Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

You must have had a face to face meeting with your fiance within 2 years of filing the K1 fiance visa petition.

The I-129F will cost $340 plus a $350 fee for the visa processing fee. After she enters the U.S., then you have to marry and then you have to pay $1070 for the I-485

Unfortunately, you will have to be patient because it will take a total of 4-6 months for you and she to go through the arduous process of her immigrating.
You will file form I-129F with the USCIS here in the US at the lockbox (PO Box) as per the instructions.
You must include with the form a G-325A for you and she along with 2 passport style photos of each of you.
You can find those forms and instructions at this link

Once your petition is approved (it will take 3-5 months) you will be notified and the petition will be sent to the National Visa Center. In approximately 2-3 weeks they will send you a notice and instructions for her to begin the visa process by submitting the DS-156 & 156K Visa Application.
After that is received the USCIS will request her background/security check be done by the FBI she will then receive her instructions for her medical and visa appointment.
She will be told what documentation to bring.
She should document your relationship with pictures, cards, emails, printouts of your skype conversations, etc.
You also need to discuss your personal life details in detail such as where you work, physical address, your position, job duties, details about your family and details about them, such as where your children go to school, work or other information about them if you had a family previously. You should converse as much as possible in English as it is best for her to do her interview in English as that is additional evidence of you having a good relationship - that you can communicate in a common language (unless you are fluent in her language).

After her interview she will be told to leave her passport and the child's and he immigrant visa packets will to sent back to her withing 2 weeks at which time she may travel to the US. She has 4 months to use the visa.

Here is a great link to a flowchart with timelines

I see this is the first time you are using JA and I am eager to make this a positive experience for you. Please ask follow-up questions if my answer is not clear.
Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face or 3+ stars.
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.


Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

May I answer anything additional for you to earn your satisfaction. I strive to give good customer service and comprehensive answers. I feel I have failed you. Please tell me what additional information would be helpful. I would like to close this thread out with a positive rating from you.


Related Immigration Law Questions