How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jen Marie, Esq. Your Own Question
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 5088
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Jen Marie, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am travelling to Europe tomorrow I cannot find my card I

Customer Question

I am travelling to Europe tomorrow I cannot find my green card I have a copy what should I do ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

Unfortunately, the only sure way to be able to come back in to the US is to submit an I-90 form to replace your green card online, print out the receipt notice, make an infopass and take the receipt before you leave and have your passport stamped with the I-551 emergency travel document. At this point you would not have enough time to do the infopass part. You can try to go to your local USCIS office tmrw if you have time and try to see if someone will see you on emergency basis with copy of your ticket. There's no guarantee.

If not, You can do the I-90 tonight and just print the receipt and take it on your trip to use to come back. You would then be taking a risk to depart from the US and try to get back in with the I-90 receipt together with the copy of your green card. It will be up to the CBP officers to allow you back in at that point or not.
Here is the I-90 form to do it and pay online;jsessionid=abcFg1g7hmPEQ7viTM8eu

Here is the link to make an infopass appointment

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.
This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .

Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks just to clarify will the airline let me fly back in to the states? I have a UK passport
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

It will be up to the airline.. they allow you on with the UK passport and a copy of your green card. You can also try to get a transportation letter while you are abroad from a US embassy/consulate. Usually that is for when the green card is lost while abroad, but you can try to see if they will give you one with your I-90 receipt and copy of green card.

I hope that helps and that I have not earned your positive rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so they will let me on with a copy of my green card not original ? Unfortunately the consulate office is over 7 hours away from my destination
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I do not know this for sure. As I mentioned, it will be up to the airline. It's a risk all around to leave without a stamp in your passport.

I must go now but best of luck and hope I have now earned your positive rating.