Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
23431962

Looking opinion, more than legal advice. We have received

Customer Question

Hello. Looking for experienced opinion, more than legal advice. We have received approval for Form I-212 (permission to reapply for entry to the USA), but haven't heard about the approval for the Form I-601 (waiver of 10 year ban). Would it even be possible for the I-212 to be approved without the I-601 being approved?
We're eagerly waiting for a response to the e-inquiry we submitted because it's a few months out of the processing time and we haven't heard from USCIS. I just want to know if the 212 can be denied even though it's submitted in conjunction with the 601. Is that a possibility considering with the 212 they've already given you permission to reapply and enter the country again?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am James. I will be helping you today. I do not get a salary here. But just like you, I want to get credit for doing my job. You are the only person who can help me get credit today. So please do not forget to do that by giving me a positive rating with 3 or more stars or any of the smiling faces. NOTE: You do not need to do that until you get answers to your questions; just make sure you do it before leaving the site today.

Also, if you want me to be your personal immigration Expert, just write “FOR JAMES" at the beginning of any future, new questions, and I will be happy to help you as your personal Expert.

ANSWER: Yes, form I-212 can be approved, even if the I-601 is not approved. And approval of the I-212 does not indicate the outcome of the I-601.

The I-212 has its own requirements, and is used for anyone who was deported int he past, but who wants to return. There are people who are eligible to apply for a non-immigrant waiver based on INA 212(d)(3), but who may not be otherwise eligible to enter as immigrants. The I-601 is a waiver for immigrant entry, and has different requirements than the 212(d)(3) waiver.

So it is possible to get the I-212 approved, and yet the I-601 denied. Remember the I-212 is for permission to seek another visa. But theI-601 is for permission to seek entry to the US, by overcoming inadmissibility.

I know these issues can be confusing. If you want to discuss this or anything else by phone, I can send you an offer for that. There will be an additional fee, if you want to do that. Please let me know and I will send you the offer.

I hope I have answered your questions. Kindly rate my customer service with a positive rating. I do not get a salary here and this is the only way I am compensated for my efforts. So please do not forget to do that before you log off. You can do that by giving me 3 or more stars, or any of the smiling faces. And you can continue to ask questions even after you have given a rating. Again, giving me a positive rating is the ONLY way I get credit for helping you.

REMINDER: You are not rating the state of the law or the outcome of your situation, which I cannot control. You are rating my customer service. Believe me that I always want to give you good news. But if the outcome is not what you wanted, blame the government and the law, not me. I am only a messenger.

A BONUS is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you have questions in the future, write “FOR JAMES" in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going and to confirm that you received my answers.

Do you need more help or need me to explain anything else? Please respond so that I know what to do next.