How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Judith Ludwic Your Own Question
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 28862
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Judith Ludwic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm being transferred to US on an L1A visa, I understand

Customer Question

Hi, I'm being transferred to US on an L1A visa, I understand that to convert to GC will be easy. can you please explain the process and costs to me?, my email is XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

Hello Roberto my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

I cannot reply to your personal email but am happy to answer your question on this site.

Is the multinational company you are coming here to work for a start-up, if it is an established company how long has it been operating here in the US?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, it has been operating for over 100 years in the US, the name is Bechtel.
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

Dear *****,

This will be a relatively easy process working for Bechtel. Their HR resource team processes many of these.

The company will prepare the I-140 Petition and submit it with the same credentials they used for your L1A.

They will submit their standard company CFO letter regarding financial ability to pay since they employ over 1,000 people no additional financials are required.

The company will concurrently file your application for adjustment of status which includes the following

I-485 Application for Adjustment of Status (signed by you)

I-765 Employment Authorization Application

I-131 Application for Travel Document (signed by alien- this document permits alien to travel during the pendency of their "green card" case)

G-325A Biographic Sheet


A medical examination in a sealed envelope performed by a civil surgeon (find one here:

Six passport size photos of alien

Copy of I-797 L1A approval notice

Copy of your passport including all blank pages and I-94

Copy of your birth certificate (with English translation)

Copy of any divorce decrees(if any)

Copy of marriage certificate (if any)

One check for the I-485/765/131 in the amount of $1,070

One check for the I-140 in the amount of $580

All this goes to a lockbox and the Texas Service Center will process the application, including requesting all FBI background/security checks. Generally you receive a notice to go in for your biometrics in about 30 days and an approval notice within 6 months of the biometrics appointment.

If you have family members they are processed along with you for adjustment of status.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please provide a positive rating. If not, please let me know so l can continue to help you.. In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert. Understand, it is my job to be honest and truthful about the law and sometimes the law does not give you the solution or options you want. If you feel I earned a BONUS, I am grateful. I will remember you and review our question history. Thank you.


Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

May I answer anything additional for you to earn your satisfaction. I strive to give good customer service and comprehensive answers. I feel I have failed you. Please tell me what additional information would be helpful.

Related Immigration Law Questions