How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Judith Ludwic Your Own Question
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 28930
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Judith Ludwic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been working health Insurance company than 8 years

Customer Question

I have been working for a health Insurance company for more than 8 years now. I had my Visa amended and got a new I-797 last December. When I entered US from India last March I gave the officer my two petitions and he entered the one on the old one. My company applied for an extension of H1, since the applied it just this month, and I have to get my drivers license expired. Can help me get my I-94 updated. Can you please let me know how much it would cost to get your expert services
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

When does the newest I-797 expire?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
14th October 2017.
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

Your I-94 has expired?

Your current employer has filed for an extension?

I am not clear on this from what you wrote.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had one i-797 that expires on 04 Oct 2015. Last december I moved to Dallas and my employer filed for another H1 and this I-797 expires on 14th October 2017. I went to India March this year and when I came back, I gave CBP officer both my I-797 and he gave me I-94 till 14th Oct 2015.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My company already applied for a H1 extension this September so that I will have my I-94 automatically renewed, but since it might take upto 2 months, I am having to work with Driver's license office to get my license extended
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

You should have done something to correct this as soon as you discovered the mistake. Now a year later it is not impossible but might be possible to get the CBP to extend your I-94 at deferred inspections.

Hopefully you entered at Dallas and that is the POE that made the error.

You can go to the Dallas Deferred inspection office. Here is the link. Page 4

You will explain to them what happened and ask them to correct your entry record. They have the discretion to do that and give you the new I-94.

You need to call and make an appointment.

You can also email them at the email address there but I would strongly recommend going in person.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Understand, it is my job to be honest and truthful about the law and sometimes the law does not give you the solution or options you want. Kindly give me a positive rating when you are done. If you feel I earned a BONUS, I am grateful. In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I came in this March, I called the CBP officer this August. He said since it is not their error (I had to give just the latest petition), they will not be correcting the I-94. In one of your answers I have seen that you do provide support in talking with CBP officer to have it corrected. That was the reason I contacted you.
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately JustAnswer stopped allowing experts to offer those types of additional services.

You need to talk to a supervisor, because you did provide the correct I-797 as well. The officer should have given you the longer of the approved stays or at the least asked you which one was the correct one!

I am surprised that your employer's lawyer didn't help you out with this.

I wish I could represent you but I am no longer able to offer that service.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know how to prove that I gave him both my I-797 at POE though. I had a 3 year old by my side and didn't really pay attention to the day that was written on my I-94thanks,
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

I understand especially after such a long trip with a tired 3 y/o all you wanted to do was get home.

I would still contact a supervisor and ask for their reconsideration. They have the power, you talked to a officer who was lazy and didn't want to do any extra work, try again, it won't hurt to ask a supervisor for an appointment.

Take your child's passport with you as well.


Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

I have had you on my mind all night. I understand how urgent it is for you to keep your driver license to work and transport your child to day care.

If you want, I will bend the rule and try to help you with calling the CBP.