Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

Judith, Would it be possible to book an interview using

Customer Question

Hello Judith,
Would it be possible to book an interview using Skype with regards ***** ***** use of B1/B2 or B1OCS Visa?
Can I work onshore office meeting travel inside US during 4 weeks in us for a foreign company using B1 OCS VISA to then travel offshore or B1 OCS is only good to head straight to offshore?
Or alternatively, can I use B1/B2 working for a foregign company to attend meetings / office onshore 4 weeks and then travel offshore?
I already have B1/B2 and work to a company in UK
Thanks and Regards,
Fernando
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for requesting me.

Yes we can do a skype telephone discussion. I will send you an offer.

The B1 is appropriate for you to use for the 4 weeks of meetings as long as you are being paid by the UK company. Your employment letter will need to detail the nature of the meetings you will be part of for those 4 weeks and that you will be paid by the UK company for your attendance at those meetings.

To work off shore for more than 29 days you may use the B1 stamp in your passport and do not have to have the visa annotated OCS.

.OCS workers already in possession of a valid B1/B2 visa do not need to apply for a new visa and may travel with a copy of the Coast Guard letter to explain the purpose of a trip at port of entry. If they prefer having an annotated B1 (OCS) to avoid more rigorous immigration inspection, they may apply for that specific visa, but their B1/B2 visa will be cancelled.

Since you will be doing a combo with on shore meetings requiring the B1 and off shore (I assume for more than 29 days) you will need the Coast Guard letter.

In addition to the Coast Guard letter you will need an employer letter naming the vessel or platform the employee will be working on, the length of time the employee will be performing services, and a U.S. Coast Guard Exemption Letter confirming that the vessel or platform named in the employer letter from OCSLA regulations requiring citizenship or permanent residency for employees.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please provide a positive rating. If not, please let me know so l can continue to help you.. In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert. Understand, it is my job to be honest and truthful about the law and sometimes the law does not give you the solution or options you want. If you feel I earned a BONUS, I am grateful. I will remember you and review our question history. Thank you.

Judith

I have sent you the Skype offer. It is in your mail box. I am on EST and available Saturday afternoon 3pm if that would work for you - mid evening your time.

Judith

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Judith,Yes I would like to have it. But that would need to be Sunday or Monday 08:00 am Houston Time / 09:00 am Atlanta time. I'm in Kazakhstan now.Could you clarify one think you mentioned work offshore for more than 29 days? No my trip will be less than 29 days. Can you amend the answer considering my trip offshore will not be longer than 29 days? Anyway I will like to have the interview if you can make it on my time zone.
Kind Regards,
Fernando

You do not need the OCS Coast Guard letter if you are coming in to handle some emergencies or other temporary operations, are an extra personnel on a unit for training or for specialized operation; i.e., construction, alteration, well logging, or unusual repairs or emergencies. You will be on the vessel for under 29 days and use your B1 visa.

You will still need the employer letter stating you will be paid abroad and how long you will be in the US with a detailed explanation of what you will be doing here.

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/87206.pdf

9 FAM 41.31 N9.9 Outer Continental Shelf (OCS)
Employees
(CT:VISA-1034; 09-24-2008)
a. The Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act Amendments of 1978 (OCSLA) were
enacted on September 18, 1978. 43 U.S.C. 1356 of OCSLA directs, that with
specified exceptions, all units operating on the Outer Continental Shelf (OCS)
must employ only U.S. citizens or lawful permanent resident (LPR) aliens as
members of the regular complement of the unit. Subsequently, the U.S. Coast
Guard issued regulations (33 CFR 141) which became effective on April 5,
1983. The regulations contain guidelines concerning exemptions available to
units operating on the OCS.
b. Not included are nonmembers of the regular complement of a unit such as
specialists, professionals, or other technically trained personnel called in to handle emergencies or other temporary operations, and extra personnel on a
unit for training or for specialized operation; i.e., construction, alteration, well
logging, or unusual repairs or emergencies.

I am in FL. I am not sure what time you are wanting to make the skype call. I need clarification.

Judith

Employees
(CT:VISA-1034; 09-24-2008)
units operating on the OCS.

Judith