How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jen Marie, Esq. Your Own Question
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4891
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Jen Marie, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 53 year old dual Canadian/American citizen (borne in

Customer Question

I am a 53 year old dual Canadian/American citizen (borne in US), my country of residence for the most part has been Canada. I am considering relocating to the U.S. and need to know what documents and fees are required for myself, my belongings and my dog.
If there is a check list that you know of, that would be most helpful. I can't get through to the local US consulate, it's just a merry go round of a phone system.
Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

Do you have your US passport?

When you say fees that are required, can you be more specific? As in immigration fees, moving fees? Why is it you believe there are fees to move to the US?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have my US passport and birth certificate As to the fee question, I just don't know what's required in respect to filing for entry or ? So do I pack up a moving van, and go to the boarder crossing? I just don't know what's required.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Am I not using this service correctly?
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

You are definitely using the service correctly. However, I'm currently preparing a long and detailed answer for you and it takes some time. I will send it to you as soon as it's completed. Thanks for your patience.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Jennifer, I'm just a little gun shy doing this online. Julie
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

No problem at all. The site can be confusing. Thanks for clarifying about your passport. Just wanted to make sure we were on the same page.

If you have your US passport and birth certificate then you have proof that you are a US citizen and that's the most important thing you will need to re-enter the US permanently to reside here. It is as simple as packing up all your belongings and either flying into your city of choice or driving across the border with your belongings. If you choose to drive you would just be subject to inspection of your belongings for clearance. You do not have to pay a fee to enter just to return to the US since you are a US citizen but you need some documents and may have to pay some duties on things you are bringing in to the US.

1. In order to make inspection go faster and easier it's a good idea to Prepare an inventory list of the items you are transporting and present it when you declare your goods to ***** and Border Protection at the border crossing. You may be asked to fill out a Customs declaration CBP 6059B> They will let you know.

You should also be careful not to bring items that are prohibited in the US - from the CBP website it says " For instance, lamb and sheep products are not admissible at this time; neither is pet food containing lamb and/or sheep. Also, citrus or tropical fruits purchased in Canada are prohibited. Fruit and vegetables that are grown in Canada, such as apples, peaches, etc, may be admissible, but must be declared and presented for examination."

- So that you are aware, you should have to have to pay any duty on things like your household goods and personal effects if you have had them for at least a year. If you need to make any expensive purchases soon, might be better to wait until you are in the US.

2. Since you are bringing your dog, you will have to show proof of rabies vaccinations and a certificate from a veterinarian stating that the dog is in good health currently.

3. Cars/Vans- Your vehicle must meet US safety and environmental standards .

a. A compliance letter must be obtained from the actual manufacturer (not dealer) stating that the vehicle does meet all FMVSS standards. The compliance letter is not required if it is a return of a U.S. registered vehicle. You can read about this in more detail under "Vehicle Importation Guidelines- Canadian" on this website and here

b. An EPA declaration form is also required unless its a US registered vehicle. You can find that here

Keep in mind that you can be charged a duty on any car that was manufactured outside of the NAFTA zone. Duty is currently charged at the rate of 2.5%. That's based on the price you paid or worth, so good idea to have proof However, most Canadian-made vehicles are not charged a duty

You can also contact your nearest Land crossing- Customs and Border Protection for additional detailed questions.

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.
This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .

Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again Julie:

I know this website can be confusing. I am just checking whether you were able to read my answer to you. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or something I can clarify in order to earn your positive rating. Thank you :)

Related Immigration Law Questions