How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jen Marie, Esq. Your Own Question
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4865
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Jen Marie, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a card but have not resided in U.S. Since my husband

Customer Question

I have a green card but have not resided in U.S. Since my husband & I divorced 15 years ago . My daughter now lives permanently in U.S. & I would ideally want to live closer. Can I renew the original green card ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the attorney helping you today.

Is your daughter a US citizen?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is a US citizen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have since re married. My husband & I would be looking to move to U.S.
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately you would no longer be able to renew your old green card. That green card would have been considered abandoned once you had not entered the US for more than a year and were not maintaining a residence in the US.

The good news is that If your daughter is over 21, your daughter can now petition you for a brand new green card since she is a US citizen. She would do this by filing an I-130 application. The application can be found here . The cost is $420. This process can take about 6 months-1 year.

However, in order for her to be able to petition your current husband, she would have had to be under 18 when you married your current husband. If not, then she would have to petition you first and once you have your green card, then you would petition for him by filing another I-130 for him. There may be a longer delay for that since you are not a US citizen. It can be about 1 year-1.5 year wait until your husband would be able to get his green card.

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.
This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .

Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again- I am just checking whether you received my answer that I sent you. Do you need me to clarify anything for you? Please let me know how I can help and earn your positive rating.


Related Immigration Law Questions