Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

Home land security did an audit on our company 60 of our

Customer Question
workers are on the suspect...
Home land security did an audit on our company 60 of our workers are on the suspect list many of them have worked for us for over 10 years some of them 20 years. Is there anything we can do to help them and retain them as employees?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/14/2015
Immigration Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) please wait to rate until I ask you to do so. It may take a few replies for me to be able to render an complete answer. I will let you know when I do.

I am sorry to hear about this. What do you mean a "suspect" list? A suspect list for what? Being in the country unlawfully? Or, being tied to terrorist activities? Etc. I am guessing this has to do with immigration, but I want to be sure.

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

it immigration related documents cant be verified.

Thank you.

Because every person's status and case is different, it is impossible to provide a "blanket" answer as to "do this and everything should be okay."

Generally speaking, the employees basically fall under the following categories:

ENTERED WITHOUT INSPECTION - generally can do little for them;

ENTERED WITH VALID VISA BUT OVERSTAYED VISA - may be able to claim lawful residency status via color of law doctrine but this is very hard. See HERE. This works best if they have been paying taxes;

Aside from that, it is very hard to say which employees CAN be made "legal" for residence and which cannot since every story is different. The best the company can do is retain counsel for those in question.

Good luck.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.

Ely, Counselor at Law