Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

My wife is a Japanese Citizen. She has a 6 year old son from

Customer Question

My wife is a Japanese Citizen. She has a 6 year old son from her first marriage. I am in the US Navy and my plan was to apply for adoption in the states for her son when we arrive. Her son is not a US citizen but we are in the final steps of the immigration process. Can I adopt when my step son in the USA once we arrive? Please help thank you
VR
LCDR Jay Ponton
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Thank you for your service to our country. At that age, you do not need to adopt him. You can petition for him as a step-parent. Have you taken such steps? What have you done so far?