How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Judith Ludwic Your Own Question
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 28865
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Judith Ludwic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am planning to marry my fiance, he once had a card that

Customer Question

I am planning to marry my fiance, he once had a green card that was taken away 15 yrs ago due to him breaking the law. I would like for him to return here to live is it possible for him to have his green card reinstated? He currently has a US Visa.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

If he was issued a US visa to visit, it is likely he will be admissible as an immigrant if you file the spousal petition for him.

What was he convicted of that caused him to loose his green card?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not 100% sure of the charge, it has something to do with him selling drugs in a gang. they were taken down " chain reaction " as punishment he had agreed to give up his green card v/s going to prison. As part of the deal he took he would have gotten a green card which he got a few months later after returning to his country of birth. he migrate here at age 12.
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure I am clear on all of this. Do you mean to say he was convicted of trafficking in controlled substance? If so then he would have a permanent bar to the US.

So it is confusing to me how he got his visitor visa?

And what do you mean as part of the deal he took he would have gotten a green card? I thought he had to giv up his green card.

And I don't know what a "chain reaction" is.

You need to get some clarity from him on what he was convicted of. He may have not had a conviction and he made a deal to give up his status and leave.

Also you need to ask him how he got the visitor visa. Did he have to get a waiver?

Ask him these questions and get back to me when you have the answers and we can look at whether you will be able to sponsor him for his green card.


Related Immigration Law Questions