How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Judith Ludwic Your Own Question
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 28813
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Judith Ludwic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Woman. I come to america 3 years ago and marry American man.

Customer Question

I am Ukrainian woman. I come to america 3 years ago and marry American man. He supposed to get my immigration papers done. He no do. He very mean to me. I call police several times and spend time womans shelter. Now he not finish paperwork. I very upset and want to divorse him. I no know what to do. Immigration want happy family. We not happy family. He bad man. What should I do
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

You should file an I-360 petition as an abused spouse of a US citizen. Not all families are happy and the Violence Against Women Act VAWA is to protect people like you.

You need to gather all your police records, get a restraining order against him, get verification from the woman's shelter that you had to take refuge there.

Where are you in Colorado? There are free legal clinics to help abused women like you with their immigration paperwork.

If you are living with him now you need to leave before he hurts you badly or kills you. Abuse only gets worse over time, not better. I am surprised the social worker at the shelter did not discuss with you your immigration options.


Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

May I answer anything additional for you to earn your satisfaction. I strive to give good customer service and comprehensive answers. I feel I have failed you. Please tell me what additional information would be helpful.

Related Immigration Law Questions