How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 109281
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want ask about applying petition sister & her family to

Customer Question

Hello I want ask about applying petition for my sister & her family to come her to USA and join me , what are the requirements , and how is the process goes ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

You are a U.S. Citizen? What country was she born in? What level of education does she have? Does she have money to invest? How much? Is she married? Children? Does she have any other relatives in the U.S.? What status?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank so much Sir for you welcome massage .let answer all questions for you .I am US Citizen , she was born in Libya , she had Bachelor degree , I am not sure about the money but i will check with her about that , married , 3 kids , me and our sister are citizens .
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

You are very welcome. Let's start with getting a green card. There are generally 5 avenues to obtain U.S. Lawful Permanent Residency. They are through family, through employment, through Asylum or refugee process, through investment, or through the lottery.

For family, it must be immediate family such as U.S. Citizen spouse or U.S. Citizen children over 21 in order to be able to come immediately. U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident parents or U.S. Citizen siblings, or Lawful Permanent Resident spouses can also help, but the wait for that is about 4 to 12 years or so.

Through employment, she would have to generally prove that she would not be taking away a job from a U.S. worker and the less experience and education she has, the harder that is to do.

Through Asylum or Refugee process, she must prove that she would be persecuted, tortured or killed if she stayed in her country and that this will happen to her because of her nationality, race, religion, political opinion, or membership in a particular social group, not because she would run the same risk as anyone else in her country to fall victim to a crime or bad economic conditions.

Through investment, she is looking at generally $1,000,000.00 for a residency, or if she wants a temporary visa, probably at least $100,000 or $200,000 investment to start.

And through the lottery, it would be very difficult to win one of the 50,000 visas available per year and some countries do not qualify.

Here is a link to the different forms to get a green card:

Then there are some visas available where she can stay temporarily and then later change to Lawful Permanent Residency if he qualifies.

Some of the visas available through employment (if she has a job offer and she qualifies) are:

H-1B for professional workers
H-2A for seasonal agricultural workers
H-2B for seasonal nonagricultural workers
H-3 for industrial trainees

Then there are the F-1 and M-1 for students and J-1 for exchange visitors.

And then there is the E-1 for treaty traders and E-2 for treaty investors (these types of visas are not available in all countries).

Here is a link to most of the available visas:

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sir you said it takes from 4 to 12 years through family basis so If I summitt the petition this month what are the next steps in the process .
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

It depends on the person that is petitioning. It is it a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident spouse, it can take a year or so. If it is a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident or U.S. Citizen parent it can take 4 to 7 years or so depending on if she is married or not. And through a sibling, such as yourself, it can take 11 years or more. Here is the link:

And another:

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. Thank you!

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.