Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

I was just denied my citizenship application on grounds that

Customer Question

I was just denied my citizenship application on grounds that i had a DWI case that i already passed judgement and paid fine in 2014 but still in conditional discharge until 11/13/2015.
i want to file an appeal but i am not sure.
what should i do?
thanks
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

No one explained to you that you could have no issues for the 5 years previous to applying for U.S. Citizenship? If you were judged and paid a fine, that means that the case was not dismissed, correct?

I do not know why you are not responding, but you are not charged per question, per response, nor per answer. So after I give you my answer, you can continue to ask me questions without additional charge until you are satisfied. I apologize if it is a site issue that you posted and the post did not go through.

Unfortunately, you should not waste money on an appeal because you would lose. The problem with U.S. Citizenship is that they want to see a full 5 years without issues in order to be satisfied that the person has good moral character. The 5 year period would start on the day that you finish probation. In your case, that seems to be 11/13/2015. So you should not apply for U.S. Citizenship until after 11/14/2020. I am truly sorry. I know you wanted U.S. Citizenship sooner rather than later, but I don't want you to spend money on an appeal that will be lost. Here is a link so that you understand:

http://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartF-Chapter2.html

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.