How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Judith Ludwic Your Own Question
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 28862
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Judith Ludwic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How are you?? I got married in March 2014 with my partner

Customer Question

Hi there how are you??
I got married in March 2014 with my partner (we are gay couple) and I got my conditional greencard through our marriage , but out relationship isn't going well and he wants to divorce me and he says he's not signing anything to grant my permanent residence so I'm afraid to lose my greencard ...
He says that I'm cheating on him and have seen me in relationship websites but I said him that was old account and has already been deleted , he is always stalking me and giving me hard time saying he is going to take my websites to the lawyer , is going to put GPS in my car , giving me lot stress, he is always blackmailing me so because of that we decided to divorce , so please I would like your help thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

I hope your day is going well! I'm sorry about your marital difficulties. It sounds to me like this is a toxic relationship for you both and you should not feel manipulated to remain in it for the sake of removing the conditions.

Let me ask you what of this list of evidence do you have to show it was a marriage entered into for love and not for an immigration benefit? You can request a waiver of the joint filing of the petition to remove conditions if you terminate the marriage through divorce and have evidence of a good faith marriage.

Wedding pictures and pictures of other moments when you and your spouse, and other members of your families and friends have been together. Very detailed letters from people who know you and your spouse and who are witnesses that your marriage was valid, who were at your wedding, or who knew you as a married couple.
Love letters or cards that you received from your spouse while in the relationship.
Letters from people addressed to both you and your spouse, or in which the person who wrote the letter refers to both of you as a couple.
Any types of documents that have both your names on them that show that you bought a car, a house, furniture, or anything else together.
Any rental or lease agreements for your home or apartment with both of your names on it or a letter from the building manager or owner proving that you lived together.
Bank or financial statements that show that you had or have a savings or checking account together.
Any insurance documents that show that you were or still are covered by your spouse's insurance plan, or that your plan covers or covered him or her.
Bills, such as electricity, water, heat, cable TV, phone, or others that show both you and your spouse's names.
Jointly-filed Income tax papers (both your names).
An identification card that shows that you use your spouse's last name.
Membership cards for video clubs, grocery stores or similar businesses, that show joint membership.


Related Immigration Law Questions