How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Judith Ludwic Your Own Question
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 29018
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Judith Ludwic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Judith I am traveling on 9/3 to Bahamas and just realized my

Customer Question

Hi Judith I am traveling on 9/3 to Bahamas and just realized my green card is expired. I obviously can't get an appointment t for tomorrow but am going to go in the office and pray they take me as a walk in. Do you think it's possible they take me in and stamp my passport with an i551 so that I can travel or is all lost? I just filed the i90 and just have proof of payment thus far can't imagine I wi get much more by tomorrow
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 2 years ago.

Hello thank you for requesting me and I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer. My apologies for the delay, I was at the immigration field office all morning.

I think you may have a shot at being allowed into the USCIS office. Be sure to take your I-90, your passport and expired I-551 as well as your evidence of travel.

Did you e-file?


Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 2 years ago.

If you e-filed the I-90 you will have a fee payment confirmation page you should have printed off. You can use that and the expired I-551 to get your boarding pass and go through Customs pre-flight clearance.

Here is the Foreign Affairs Manual link stating you can board See Page 6

(CT:VISA-1858; 08-15-2012)
A lawful permanent resident (LPR) returning to an unrelinquished domicile in the
United States may not require a visa if the alien:
(1) Possesses a valid Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card, and was absent
from the United States for less than one year;
(2) Possesses an expired Form I-551 (valid for 10 years) if the expiration date
is the only reason for not boarding the alien;

Also see this link Page 36


Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 2 years ago.

You are on my mind, I hope you were able to make your trip!