Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
28679807

I just got back that I need more evidence thatI married in

Customer Question

I just got back that I need more evidence thatI married in Good Faith. But I already sent everything we had.
the thing is that we separated, and I understand that it makes things harder. Please give me advice on how to move forward and what I can do7show to prove that I married in Good Faith.
I was a student whne we got married and we never owned anything togehter. I know it sounds weird but we couldn't afford much so they only thing we have is bills from the same addresses. And i also have two letters from two different people saying that we married in good faith.
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I wrote this way to fast, sorry for the misspelling. I understand now that I should have started my process with a lawyer.We married 2012 and I did married in Good Faith, I wanted nothing more then to be with my husband. Like I wrote earlier, he did not treat me well. And I have proof of this. Which I understand is not enough and I do not want to get him in trouble.I just don't know how to move forward and what kind of evidence I need to complete this. If I try to find more evidence of us living together and sharing a life together. What would the next step be?
Can they deny my application right away? Will there be an interview first?Thank you,
Linda
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

I'm so sorry this is happening to you. I know that it is that fair but legally once you are no longer with him and are separating, your green card process cannot be completed. Of course, they have to would have to know about it. IF you already went to the interview and if they asked you for additional documents, you have the choice of just mailing in the additional information that is being asked of you or turning it in person (depends what the page says). If they asked you for more information and gave you a certain amount of time to respond by, then they would not deny you until you at least that time passes. If you don't respond within that time then they can deny you. If you respond and send more information, then they will take the new documents into consideration in making a decision. Usually you will not be called in for another interview However do keep in mind again that legally if they know you're not living together, they could deny you even if you bring more documents to support.

Some additional information you can try to get are just more pictures, proof of flights/trips you took together, driver's license with same address, joint bank account, joint lease, joint memberships, proof that you had him as your emergency contact at school or that he had you, and last resort you could get more affidavits signed and notarized from people that know both of you. That is really all there is that you can get.

IF USCIS does find out that you are no longer together somehow and denied you, the only other option you have is to file an application for residency based on VAWA if he was ever abusive towards you. You would need support of this such as a police report. For this, you don't have to be together. You can get your green card alone if you are approved.

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.
This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .

Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I never went to an interview. I just got a mail today saying that I need more evidence.
They also told me to send our divorce papers, but we haven't gone through the divorce yet.He did abusive me, I do not have a police report. I did go to the doctor and I have pictures.I haven't brought that up because I do not want him to get in trouble. Sounds weird but I do care about him.Thank you for your response.

If you have not gone to an interview then how to they know that you are divorcing?

Is this connected with your I-751 application or your I-485 application? In other words, do you have your 2 year green card already?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My phone got stolen on Saturday. I only have Facetime through my computer,***@******.***.I have my two year green card, filing for I-751.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will get my new phone tomorrow. It just feels like my life is falling apart.
He ddid so much bad things to me that I had to leave, I had to leave in order to survive :(

Oay thank you for clarifying. I thought you were just applying for your green card now because you did not mention that you ALREADY HAVE your green card. That is something very important that should be mentioned. My answer is different now.

I will send you an updated answer now. Please remember at the end that I only receive credit when you leave me a rating. I don't receive a salary from this website. Thanks in advance.

I'm so sorry this is happening to you. I know that it is that fair but since you already have your 2 year green card, it is okay in the eyes of immigration if you are divorced. Legally once you are divorced, you can still get your green card. However you cannot be only separated. You NEED to be divorced. That is the only way that they can give you your permanent green card. You must get divorced as soon as possible. To get approved for the 10 year card, it's not only the divorce but also you need to prove that the marriage was genuine and that is why they are asking you for additional information.

Since they asked you for more information and gave you a certain amount of time to respond by, then they would not deny you until you at least that time that they gave you passes. If you don't respond within that time then they can deny you. If you respond and send more information, then they will take the new documents into consideration in making a decision. Yes, you may be called in for an interview if you don't send in any documents or if you don't in enough.

VAWA is not necessary in your case. You don't have to report him if you don't want to because you have your green card. What you should do is send in any additional documents you can find right away. If you will NOT have the final divorce decree by the date that USCIS gave you to send in the documents, then you should request additional time to get the divorce before they issue a decision. I would highly recommend that you retain a local attorney to help you with this as it is a very delicate and complicated matter. You don't want to take any chances.

I hope that now this helps you more.

Hello again. I just wanted to verify that you were you able to read my last email and if you need any clarification. Please do let me know.

Thank you in advance for your consideration in leaving a rating.