How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 108705
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a resident alien that has recently renewed my permanent

Customer Question

I am a resident alien that has recently renewed my permanent resident card. I have received the letter with my biometrics appointment, which I've had to reschedule several times now. The problem is that I am a caregiver for two disabled family members. I've actually gotten Medicare approval to be their official caregiver. They are both homebound, one suffers from seizures. In the past two years I am equally homebound because I can't leave them at all. We even have grocery delivery. So, this makes attending my biometrics appointment 2 hours away extremely difficult. It means I will be away from home at least 5 hours. I don't know anyone else that is capable of caregiving them while I'm away. I know that INS has special accommodations for an actual disabled person, but are there any other exceptions to the need to visit the office in person? I really need some help in figuring out what to do in this situation.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Since you are not the one actually disabled, it will be very difficult to get the accommodation. If it is just a situation that could be solved with some money, that's what they would prefer you to do so that they don't have to spend the money to accommodate you. For example, even though it may be a financial burden, why couldn't you hire someone to care for them for half a day or a day?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have looked into this possibility and there isn't a lot of options actually, plus it's extremely expensive. Personally, I don't have any money because I had to quit my job to be a full time caregiver. We live off the very limited income from social security disability. Any kind of alternate caregiver in this situation has to be experienced with seizures, like a nurse. So, I can't just find any sort of "babysitter." Not to mention the one family member suffers from extreme anxiety, so this wouldn't work for her. I think I can apply to Medicare for a nurse as temporary aid, but was told it can take several months to get approved for this service. I have no idea how long I can keep rescheduling appointments. It's already been 2 months I've rescheduled like 4 times.
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Well, the problem is that as I said, you would have to prove that it isn't just a financial burden. It is only just a day or maybe half a day. And USCIS will take you early. So if for example your appointment is for a Friday, but your Mondays are better, you can go the Monday before and they will take you. If this is truly impossible, then you will need to prove it to USCIS by getting medical reports that state that your charges cannot be moved, that one of both suffer bouts of anxiety if you are not there, that it is outside of your means to hire someone for 5 hours meaning that you would have to show financial statements to prove your low income. If you feel that you can do this, then here is a link:

If they deny the accommodation, then you may have no choice but to go to the biometrics appointment. The good thing is that if you have filed an I-90 to renew and it is denied, that doesn't mean you stop being a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR). You still are one. You just don't have the card to prove it. If you aren't at an employer that wants to see it and you can't travel, then you don't really need the renewed card. You are still an LPR even with an expired card.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.

Related Immigration Law Questions