Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

Am thinking of retiring to California. I am a UK ExPat at

Customer Question
Hello I am PeterI am...
Hello I am PeterI am thinking of retiring to California. I am a UK ExPat at this time. I have fairly substantial assets invested in real estate in UK and Europe. I have a Partner with whom I am contemplating marriage she is a French National presently in LA on a Temporary Visa for 1 year associated with her recent studies.
In a perfect world I would keep some of my rental income in the UK and move to LA settle there and simply pay my UK Tax on my UK Income. I would like to Invest in Rental Property in the USA (probably Detroit where I believe there will be significant capital growth fairly soon).
As an Expat I am not subject to Capital Gains in the UK.
I wish if possible to avoid Any possibility of Double Taxation.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
8/25/2015
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

I wish it was that easy. Investment in a passive business like rental income would not work. Would you be able to invest in an active business? How much money would you be able to invest? In what location?

Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.