How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Expert James Your Own Question
Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 11897
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Expert James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to get a girl a card, she is in the Philippines, what

Customer Question

I want to get a girl a green card , she is in the Philippines, what do I do I do to get her here, she would come to help me in my home.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am James. I will be helping you today. I do not get a salary here. But just like you, I want to get credit for doing my job. You are the only person who can help me get credit before leaving this site today. So please do not forget to do that by giving me a positive rating with 3 or more stars or any of the smiling faces.

Also, if you want me to be your personal immigration Expert, just write “FOR JAMES" at the beginning of any future, new questions, and I will be happy to help you as your personal Expert.

During this process, it will be my goal to provide you with a positive customer service experience. But please remember that I do not work for the government. My job is to be honest with you about your situation, and sometimes that means I have to deliver bad news. When you are giving a rating, consider my customer service, not the state of the law of the outcome of you situation. I cannot control those things. I am just a messenger.

I know a negative outcome might create negative feelings for you, but those feelings should be directed to the US laws, not me. I can only control my customer service to you. Thank you for your understanding.

ANSWER: Unfortunately, US immigration laws and regulations do not provide a special green card for personal domestic workers to come to the US to live and work here permanently. There are non=immigrant options for those who helped US citizens who were living abroad, but who are coming to the US for a temporary period and require continued assistance.

But to bring a foreign worker to the US to get a green card based on employment is a completely different story, and one that requires a long and expensive process.

First, she would require an employer who is willing to file for her. The employer has to complete the PERM/Labor Certification process. That requires the employer doing a recruitment to make sure that there are no willing or able US workers who can take the position for which she would be getting petitioned for a green card. The goal for the US is to protect US workers' interests first, before offering job s to foreign workers. A priority date is issued when the PERM is filed. That becomes important later.

If the PERM is approved, the employer will file form I-140 to the immigration authorities, seeking to categorize the foreign worker as an employment based green card applicant in the employment based 3rd preference category and to prove that the employer can pay the prevailing wage, as determined by the Department of Labor.

If the I-140 is approved, then the employee can apply for an immigrant visa to come to the US to live and work and get a green card. But hat can only happen when the priority date is current. If the immigrant visa is approved, the alien can come to the US to live and work permanently with a green card.

The US government has a limited number of available EB3 green cards issued each year. Because there are so many applicants, it creates a waiting line. Right now, the immigration department is issuing immigrant visas or those people in the same category whose PERM was filed on or before June 1, 2004. As of August 1, 2015, the time it takes for a national of the Philippines to get to the front of the line and come to the US based on the EB3 green card visa is approximately 11 years. That is because there are far more applicants for these types of visas than there are available in the quota.

I'm sorry if this was not what you expected to hear. And I know a negative outcome might create negative feelings for you. But that should be directed to the US laws, not me. I can only control my customer service to you. Thank you for your understanding.

I know these issues can be confusing. If you want to discuss this or anything else by phone, I can send you an offer for that. There will be an additional fee, if you want to do that. Please let me know and I will send you the offer.

I hope I have answered your questions. Kindly rate my customer service with a positive rating. I do not get a salary here and this is the only way I am compensated for my efforts. So please do not forget to do that before you log off. You can do that by giving me 3 or more stars, or any of the smiling faces. And you can continue to ask questions even after you have given a rating. Again, giving me a positive rating is the ONLY way I get credit for helping you.

REMINDER: You are not rating the state of the law or the outcome of your situation, which I cannot control. You are rating my customer service. Believe me that I always want to give you good news. But if the outcome is not what you wanted, blame the government and the law, not me. I am only a messenger.

Negative ratings are reserved for Professionals who are rude or unprofessional. Giving me a negative rating does not help you get a different answer or outcome. So do not give a negative rating if you need more help, or if I misunderstood your question. Instead click REPLY so I can continue to assist you.

A BONUS is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you have questions in the future, write “FOR JAMES" in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.

Thank you!

Expert:  Expert James replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going and to confirm that you received my answers.

Do you need more help or need me to explain anything else?

Related Immigration Law Questions