How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jen Marie, Esq. Your Own Question
Jen Marie, Esq.
Jen Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 4868
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Jen Marie, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently a recent grad and my visa expired on July

Customer Question

Hi, I am currently a recent grad and my visa expired on July 31st. I applied for OPT and am awaiting my EAD card, but might need to return to China for a family emergency. USCIS said it would take anywhere between 75-90 days and it is day 73 currently. I need to leave in about two there any other documentation I can get from my school that will help me re-enter the country.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the attorney helping you today.

In terms of documentation from the school you should have an I-20 with a travel signature that isn't older than 6 months. And make sure that you bring your OPT receipt notice with you. You can travel and reenter while your OPT is pending only with the purpose to "search for employment". However, you will need to get a F1 visa stamp in your home country before you will be allowed back in to the US since it expired.

Also always keep in mind that there is a risk to depart the US while it's pending because if the OPT is denied, they will not allow you back in on your F1.. Other risks include that you may receive a Request for Evidence and you must reply to that immediately so the application won't be denied. Another risk is that if your OPT is actually approved you will need to have the EAD to show when you enter the US.

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.

This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification instead of leaving a negative rating. A negative rating does not help you or me. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking you were able to view my answer and if you had any questions?