How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Expert James Your Own Question
Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 12197
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Expert James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mom came to us on B2 visa on 9/23/14. I had an extension

Customer Question

Hi, my mom came to us on B2 visa on 9/23/14. I had an extension filed before the I-94 expiry 3/22/15. My initial request for B2 extension was for 8/20/2015. But, while the case was pending, I sent additional documents to correct the 8/20/15 request date to 9/20/15. This would still be under the 6-month B2 extension timeframe. I had to change the dates as a result of my mom being hospitalized for arm swelling and chest pain and as per the doctor was advised a little more rest before leaving the country. But last week, I already received a I-797 notice the 8/20/15 date. I sent a service-request as advise by the customer service rep immediately. I got a response today stating that I need to apply a new extension since the old one is closed. But its already 8/21. I just wanted to know what are my options. New I-539 although its 8/21 with valid reasons or I-102 to correct the approved I-797?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I am James. I will be helping you today. I do not get a salary here. But just like you, I want to get credit for doing my job. You are the only person who can help me get credit before leaving this site today. So please do not forget to do that by giving me a positive rating with 3 or more stars or any of the smiling faces.

Also, if you want me to be your personal immigration Expert, just write “FOR JAMES" at the beginning of any future, new questions, and I will be happy to help you as your personal Expert.

ANSWER: In this case, you should file the I-539 immediately - as in today - with an explanation of everything that occurred, and a copy of the SR you filed. This shows your good faith efforts to fix the issue proactively. I would also provide the medical documentation that you sent in as well, to reiterate the basis for this request.

The I-102 might result in a denial. If it dos, then your mother would be out of status for quite some time, instead of just the short one day lapse that might be overlooked for good cause.

I know these issues can be confusing. If you want to discuss this or anything else by phone, I can send you an offer for that. There will be an additional fee, if you want to do that. Please let me know and I will send you the offer.

I hope I have answered your questions. Kindly rate my customer service with a positive rating. I do not get a salary here and this is the only way I am compensated for my efforts. So please do not forget to do that before you log off. You can do that by giving me 3 or more stars, or any of the smiling faces. And you can continue to ask questions even after you have given a rating. Again, giving me a positive rating is the ONLY way I get credit for helping you.

REMINDER: You are not rating the state of the law or the outcome of your situation, which I cannot control. You are rating my customer service. Believe me that I always want to give you good news. But if the outcome is not what you wanted, blame the government and the law, not me. I am only a messenger.

Negative ratings are reserved for Professionals who are rude or unprofessional. Giving me a negative rating does not help you get a different answer or outcome. So do not give a negative rating if you need more help, or if I misunderstood your question. Instead click REPLY so I can continue to assist you.

A BONUS is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you have questions in the future, write “FOR JAMES" in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.

Thank you!

Expert:  Expert James replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going and to confirm that you received my answers.

Do you need more help or need me to explain anything else?