Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
23431962

I am a married non-us citizen from Bermuda. My father is a

Customer Question

I am a married non-us citizen from Bermuda. My father is a lawful permanent resident of South Carolina who will be shortly apply for his citizenship. I wish to obtain a green card for my family and I to work and live in the US. I spoke the US Immigration
located here in Bermuda and was told the wait would between 8 to 9 yrs before I get it. Is this true for my country, and is there a way around this to get my green card a lot quicker?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I am James. I will be helping you today. I do not get a salary here. But just like you, I want to get credit for doing my job. You are the only person who can help me get credit before leaving this site today. So please do not forget to do that by giving me a positive rating with 3 or more stars or any of the smiling faces.

Also, if you want me to be your personal immigration Expert, just write “FOR JAMES" at the beginning of any future, new questions, and I will be happy to help you as your personal Expert.

Please answer the following:

Are you in the US now?

What is the status of your spouse?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, my husband and are both Bermudians living and working in Bermuda. We were hoping to move and work in the US within the next 2 to 3 yrs.

OK, thank you very much. Kindly remember to give me a positive rating before leaving this site today. I do not get a salary here, so your positive rating is the only way I am rewarded for doing my job. If that does not happen, it is as if I never worked, which I am sure you agree would not be an ideal outcome. So please do not forget to give me 3 or more stars, or any smiling faces, in order to help me get credit for doing my job. Thank you!

During this process, it will be my goal to provide you with a positive customer service experience. But please remember that I do not work for the government. My job is to be honest with you about your situation, and sometimes that means I have to deliver bad news. When you are giving a rating, consider my customer service, not the state of the law of the outcome of you situation. I cannot control those things. I am just a messenger.

I know a negative outcome might create negative feelings for you, but those feelings should be directed to the US laws, not me. I can only control my customer service to you. Thank you for your understanding.

ANSWER: Unfortunately, there is absolutely no way you will get a green card through your father within 2 to 3 years.

And the immigration department in Bermuda was being optimistic. As of August 1, 2015, the USCIS is issuing immigrant visas/green cards to married daughters/sons of US citizens who filed the family based petition on or before April 8, 2004. So in this case, it will be far longer than 8/9 years.

Unfortunately, there is no way around the long wait times; if there were, everyone would take advantage of it to get a green card faster. The reason why there is a long line is because there are so many people in the same category, in line ahead of you. It isn't a matter of getting around it quicker; the Congress set up a specific amount of green cards in your category per year. When more than that number per year are petitioned, a line is created. To statutorily speaking, there simply are not enough available green cards in that category to make the process speed up.

I know these issues can be confusing. If you want to discuss this or anything else by phone, I can send you an offer for that. There will be an additional fee, if you want to do that. Please let me know and I will send you the offer.

I hope I have answered your questions. Kindly rate my customer service with a positive rating. I do not get a salary here and this is the only way I am compensated for my efforts. So please do not forget to do that before you log off. You can do that by giving me 3 or more stars, or any of the smiling faces. And you can continue to ask questions even after you have given a rating. Again, giving me a positive rating is the ONLY way I get credit for helping you.

REMINDER: You are not rating the state of the law or the outcome of your situation, which I cannot control. You are rating my customer service. Believe me that I always want to give you good news. But if the outcome is not what you wanted, blame the government and the law, not me. I am only a messenger.

Negative ratings are reserved for Professionals who are rude or unprofessional. Giving me a negative rating does not help you get a different answer or outcome. So do not give a negative rating if you need more help, or if I misunderstood your question. Instead click REPLY so I can continue to assist you.

A BONUS is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it.

If you have questions in the future, write “FOR JAMES" in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I appreciate and understand the information you provided. Is there another avenue we can take to possibly living and working in the US and eventually apply for a green card? i.e. attend college then apply for a job in that field. Something along these lines.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If I wasn't married, would the process be a lot quicker.

Kindly remember to give me a positive rating before leaving this site today. I do not get a salary here, so your positive rating is the only way I am rewarded for doing my job. If that does not happen, it is as if I never worked, which I am sure you agree would not be an ideal outcome. So please do not forget to give me 3 or more stars, or any smiling faces, in order to help me get credit for doing my job. Thank you!

Yes, but for other options, you would need to post a new question, as that would be a different question than that which you asked initially.

As to whether it would be faster if not married, yes, it would be:

- If you are unmarried and your father is a permanent resident (not a citizen), the current wait time is close to 7 years.

- If you are unmarried and your father is a US citizen, the current wait time is close to 8 years.

Thank you!

Hi again,
I received a message that you reviewed my response and have responded. But I cannot see that response above.
Please post it again, so I can continue to help you and we can close this question.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This was the question:I appreciate and understand the information you provided. Are there another avenue, no matter how far fetched, for us to live and legally work in the US and eventually apply for a green card? I am open to anything.

Yes, I understand that question. But first we need to finish this question with a positive rating. Then, because the last question is a different question than the original, it needs to be posted in a new thread.

Hi again,
Thank you!