How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Judith Ludwic Your Own Question
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 28923
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Judith Ludwic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a citizen of USA and i live with my parents. My

Customer Question

Hi, I am a citizen of USA and i live with my parents. My boyfriend and I have been dating for like 7 years in a long distance relationship. He wants to visit me this year. I want to know the correct way of doing it.
If he doesn't have enough money how can i sponsor him.
Thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He will stay with us in our house. I want to know first of all is it possible for him to get visitor visa. if yes then what documents are required and if i have to sponsor him, what documents and requirements are there for sponsorship of a 15 day trip.
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 2 years ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

What country is he from and living in?

What is his profession?

What is his age?

Does he own or rent his residence in his country?

How long has he been working on the job he has currently?

Does he have any other assets in his country?


Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He is in India.
He is an engineer.
He is 25
He owns it with his mom.
He is been working on this job for about 4-5 months.
His whole family is there.
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for this info.

He doesn't have a great employment history on this current job but he may be able to get a visitor visa and he can only try, taking with him evidence of his past and present employment history and joint ownership in the home.

He should not say he is coming to the US to visit his US citizen gf because they will believe he has an immigrant intent and deny him flat out.

He should be coming here as a tourist to see the sights in the nearest big city. He should have a list of places he wants to see.

He should have hotel reservations at a hotel near the tourist sights (this can always be cancelled).

He should also have a letter from his employer granting him 2 weeks leave to have a US holiday and that his job is waiting for him on his return.

Also take bank statements to show he has sufficient funds to pay for the trip.

NOTHING about a US girlfriend if questioned. Simply he has friends who have taken jobs in US and he wants to see it and visit them.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Understand, it is my job to be honest and truthful about the law and sometimes the law does not give you the solution or options you want. Kindly give me a positive rating when you are done. If you feel I earned a BONUS, I am grateful. In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.


Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He doesn't have enough funds..... So probably I will sponsor him.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What shd we do then?
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 2 years ago.

I'm telling you it is a refusal if you do. Dear end, they will tell him to get a fiance visa. And that means you have to have had a face to face meeting in the past 2 years - you will need to make a trip there.

I have 37 years doing this. I know what I am telling you. Some of my best friends are now retired consul and to hear them talk in a group is a real eye opener but their mindset is refusal unless they are beyond a reasonable doubt of return. And that means compelling ties and ability to fund their holiday.

Doesn't he have some relative in the US to provide an Affidavit of Support?

Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 2 years ago.
Was my answer helpful even if it was not exactly what you would have preferred to hear?
I need to be an advocate and the best advocate works to prevent a problem or issue from happening. It is easier to prevent a disaster than to try to clean up a mess after it happens. Disclosing your long term relationship will be certain to create disaster to his plan for a visitor visa which is already difficult to obtain by anyone.
Let me know what more I can answer for you. I don't want to stand in the way of love but want to see it be a successful relationship with a personal meeting.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We met like in December. we talk everyday and we are in love. I know he can't supp himself and it's hard for me to go every year and this year he wanted to come. So that's what we were looking for a way this can happen
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for this information, it is very helpful. It doesn't change anything I advised, but we know that you can file a fiance petition if his tourist visa is refused.

So tell me is there any relative he has in the US who could write the invitation letter so you are out of the picture?