Immigration Law

Immigration law questions? Ask an immigration lawyer.

I'm planning to have some gold shipped from Ghana to US do I…

Customer Question
I'm planning to have some...
I'm planning to have some gold shipped from Ghana to US do I need special permission, is it illegal I don't know
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
8/9/2015
Immigration Lawyer: Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

You have to get export clearance from the Ghana authorities and go through an exporter

http://pmmcghana.com/gold/8

On the US side, upon arrival at the port of entry you have to declare it. No duty is owed but if it is over $10K you will need to declare the bullion.

It really makes no sense to ship gold bullion because of the cost for exporting such heavy cargo. The price of gold is set world wide and you can sell it in Ghana at the same rate as what you get in the US.

In addition you don't know the purity of the gold there so it has to be tested to make sure it is not gold plate covering something else.

So to pay the huge shipping fees for the weight of the metal makes no sense when you can sell it and get the same price and have the cash wired to your bank.

You can then buy gold bullion here in the US with the money and be ahead.

I see this is the first time you are using JA and I am eager to make this a positive experience for you. Please ask follow-up questions if my answer is not clear.
Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face, but more importantly, I want you to come back to the site for all your answers from over a 100 categories of experts!
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.

Judith

Hi Phillip,
Was my answer helpful?
May I answer anything further for you?
Judith