Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

I will be a eligible to apply citizenship as I have been on

Customer Question
Hi, I will be a eligible...
I will be a eligible to apply for US citizenship as I have been on a Green Card for more than 5 years. Upon becoming a citizen I also want to apply for a GC for my parents , however my sister is a divorcee and lives with my parents along with her kids, she is completely dependent on my parents and has no source of income.
Is there a immigration category to include my sister along with my parents' GC application that considers the fact she is a divorcee completely dependent on parents ? My parents are in India.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
8/6/2015
Immigration Lawyer: Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

I will send you an offer for telephone discussion.

Judith

The offer is in your email box.

Judith

I dont need phone consultation , I need an answer to my question that I posted.

My apologies, you posted a request for a live phone call.

my sister is a divorcee and lives with my parents along with her kids, she is completely dependent on my parents and has no source of income. Is there a immigration category to include my sister along with my parents' GC application that considers the fact she is a divorcee completely dependent on parents ?

No there is no special category for your sister. Your parents will have to immigrate and then petition her under Family Based 2B. The current wait for a priority date under that category for India is quite long. They are now processing petitions filed 15NOV08.

One alternative you may want to consider is for your sister to come here to school as a student on an F1 before you file the I-130 for your parents. She could remain in the US as a student, you petition your parents and they immigrate and then file for her while she is here and she continues in school and then OPT and a H1B job while waiting to get a current priority date.

I suggest she does this before you file for your parents since she is living with them and that would be her compelling tie to India that would show her intent to return when she completes her education.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Understand, it is my job to be honest and truthful about the law and sometimes the law does not give you the solution or options you want. Kindly give me a positive rating when you are done. If you feel I earned a BONUS, I am grateful. In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.

Judith

May I answer anything additional for you? Was the answer helpful? I realize you would like the law to have an exception for your sister but I have given you the best option available.
Judith
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer