How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Judith Ludwic Your Own Question
Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 28862
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Judith Ludwic is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am wanting to visit the Philippines because I am thinking

Customer Question

I am wanting to visit the Philippines because I am thinking about moving there and I am wanting to visit there for 6 to 12 months to check out the area. Can a person get a visitors' Visa for that period of time and if so, how and where can a person obtain one.
I live in the United States and have a Passport already.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 2 years ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

Your initial maximum stay is only 30 days and then you have to get an extension. Since you know you are going for more than 30 days you can get a visa for up to 59 days at the Philippine embassy in Washington, DC. Then in the PI you can get an additional 29 days. So basically you are limited to just under 3 months.

Go to this link to see more about visas

U.S. citizens may enter the Philippines for purposes of tourism without a visa if they present their U.S. passport valid for at least six months beyond the date of their entry into the Philippines, and a return ticket to the United States or an onward ticket to another country. Upon your arrival, immigration authorities will annotate your passport with an entry visa valid for 30 days. If you plan to stay longer than 30 days, you must apply for an extension at the Philippine Bureau of Immigration and Deportation's (BI) main office at Magallanes Drive, Intramuros, Manila, or at any of its provincial offices. If you know you will stay in the Philippines for more than 30 days, you can obtain a fifty-nine (59) day visa at the Philippine embassy or consulate closest to you before traveling to the Philippines. Once in the Philippines, you can apply for a twenty-nine day extension. If you are coming to the Philippines for purposes other than tourism, please check the Embassy of the Philippines website for visa requirements. You may be denied entry or be given a fine if your purpose for entry is other than tourism and you do not possess the correct visa.

U.S. citizens may obtain a multiple-entry transit 9(b) visa to permit travel from one country to another via the Philippines. Travelers must obtain a transit visa from a Philippine embassy or consulate prior to traveling to the Philippines—transit visas are not issued upon arrival in the Philippines. The transit visa generally is valid for one month and allows the traveler to remain in the Philippines for up to three days. The transit visa is not convertible to any other type of Philippine visa and cannot be extended. U.S. citizens holding an approved transit 9(b) visa should possess the following to qualify for entry to the Philippines: a passport valid for at least six months beyond the date of entry into the Philippines, a confirmed onward ticket to another destination, and a valid visa for the country of final destination, if a visa is required.

Persons who overstay their visas are subject to fines and detention by Philippine immigration authorities. Please remain aware of your visa status while in the Philippines and strictly follow immigration laws and regulations. Travelers departing the country from international airports must pay a Passenger Service Charge in Philippine pesos. Visit the Embassy of the Philippines website for the most current visa information.

There are also consulates in other cities that you can contact which may be closer to you.

I see this is the first time you are using JA and I am eager to make this a positive experience for you. Please ask follow-up questions if my answer is not clear.
Of course, I am sure you understand your positive rating is very important to me as we are not on salary and that is how we receive compensation, you choosing a smiley face, but more importantly, I want you to come back to the site for all your answers from over a 100 categories of experts!
In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.


Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 2 years ago.
You may want to consider a Special Retiree Resident Visa. You can read about those at this link
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How about if I want to live there for 6 months at a time, what do I have to do then
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Don't they cost like $1400
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 2 years ago.

You would have to look into the various SRRV programs at this link

Yes, that is the cost according to their website.


Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is this $52 on top of what I have already paid?
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 2 years ago.

I don't know what you have paid. I am a lawyer and I answer legal questions and have nothing to do with finances or your charges.

You set a value on the question and I elected to answer the question based on the value you set. This is how I earn my living and support my family, answering legal questions for people like you who come to the site. I appreciate your business. If you do not rate my by choosing smilley faces or stars, I earn nothing for my time with you.

You can contact customer service at***@******.***.