Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

I am currently working under an F-1 OPT (Exp Jul 2016) and

Customer Question

Hi, I am currently working under an F-1 OPT (Exp Jul 2016) and found out that I was selected for DV2016 (Under 3000, Asia number). I am married but my wife is employed back home. I am aware that I can either change my status here (Option 1) or go back to my home country and apply through the consulate together (Option 2). I also know that if I do change my status here, I can inform USCIS to send a letter to the consulate for my wife's application (Option 3).
My questions are as follows:
1) What would be the best way, in your opinion, to process the DV?
2) Are there rough estimates as to how long each process (option 1 vs option 2 vs option 3) would take?
3) Say I want to bring my wife here before I file, can she still apply for an F-2 given my OPT status and the DV outcome? If this is possible, this would allow me to file the change of status together (Option 4), correct?
Thanks!
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jen Marie, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the attorney helping you today?

What is your country of citizenship? When did you get married?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for your response. I prefer not disclose my country of citizenship publicly. However, I can tell you that the country has very low DV immigrant rates. We've been married for three years now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
No answer given