How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Expert James Your Own Question
Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 12059
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Expert James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife is Canadian, I'm Norwegian, our son is born in the

Customer Question

My wife is Canadian, I'm Norwegian, our son is born in the US, but is also Norwegian. I have a Green Card, my wife doesn't. In order to get her her Green Card, I would have to become a US citizen and give up my Norwegian one. I'm not going to do that. Instead, I would like to move back to Norway with my son. Can you please tell me how that might work?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am James. I will be helping you today. I do not get a salary here. But just like you, I want to get credit for doing my job. You are the only person who can help me get credit before leaving this site today. So please do not forget to do that by giving me a positive rating with 3 or more stars or any of the smiling faces. Also, if you want me to be your personal immigration Expert, just write “FOR JAMES" at the beginning of any future, new questions, and I will be happy to help you as your personal Expert. Please answer the following: Why do you think you would have to give up your Norwegian citizenship? Does Norway not permit dual citizenship?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Norway does not permit dual citizenship. My wife is illegal. I have done everything I can to care for her. She was unfaithful once, and I gave her another chance. This time, it's over. I want to go home. I understand that this will affect my son, however, this is her doing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In my eyes, someone who is unfaithful (no abuse or mistreatment) is up there with rapists. She doesn't deserve her son or me, and both my son and I deserve much better.
Expert:  Expert James replied 2 years ago.
Ah I see. Sorry to hear that. So this is more of a custody matter, correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not exactly.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Potentially, depending on a few different factors.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Your answer being one of them.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How difficult would it be for me to have someone come pick her up and get her deported?
Expert:  Expert James replied 2 years ago.
OK, thank you very much. Kindly remember to give me a positive rating before leaving this site today. I do not get a salary here, so your positive rating is the only way I am rewarded for doing my job. If that does not happen, it is as if I never worked, which I am sure you agree would not be an ideal outcome. So please do not forget to give me 3 or more stars, or any smiling faces, in order to help me get credit for doing my job. Thank you! The decision to remove is not something you can control. But you can tip off Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) that there is a person illegally in the US. They will take steps from there to either detain and start removal or not. Technically, according to the law they should. However DHS, due to budgetary concerns and lack of resources, has been directed to focus on dangerous criminals. That means they have enforcement priorities of removing those who have serious criminal convictions. That is not intended to mean that if they are handed someone on a silver platter, that person won't be found and detained. So you may as well try. Contact ICE to report violations: 1 - 866 - DHS - 2 - ICE. I know these issues can be confusing. If you want to discuss this or anything else by phone, I can send you an offer for that. There will be an additional fee, if you want to do that. Please let me know and I will send you the offer. I hope I have answered your questions. Kindly rate my customer service with a positive rating. I do not get a salary here and this is the only way I am compensated for my efforts. So please do not forget to do that before you log off. You can do that by giving me 3 or more stars, or any of the smiling faces. And you can continue to ask questions even after you have given a rating. Again, giving me a positive rating is the ONLY way I get credit for helping you. REMINDER: You are not rating the state of the law or the outcome of your situation, which I cannot control. You are rating my customer service. Believe me that I always want to give you good news. But if the outcome is not what you wanted, blame the government and the law, not me. I am only a messenger. Negative ratings are reserved for Professionals who are rude or unprofessional. Giving me a negative rating does not help you get a different answer or outcome. So do not give a negative rating if you need more help, or if I misunderstood your question. Instead click REPLY so I can continue to assist you. A BONUS is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it. If you have questions in the future, write “FOR JAMES" in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category. Thank you!
Expert:  Expert James replied 2 years ago.
As for the non-US questions related to this situation, I can request that the question be dual categorize so that an expert in the European law section can help you as well. Would you like me to put in that request once we've finished here and you've given me a rating?