How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 27423
Experience:  18 years of criminal litigation experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to know if i someone can travel overseas while on probation

Customer Question

i want to know if i someone can travel overseas while on probation and never come back
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with this question. I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
Are you a US citizen? Are you on felony or misdemanor probation?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
on felony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i'm not a US citizen
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the reply.
I assume that what you're really asking me is whether you can get away with leaving the country. Unfortunately, I can give you only a definite maybe. It's going to depend on whether the prosecutor has had your passport flagged, and there is no way that I can know whether he has bothered to do that or not.
As you know, in order to leave the country while on probation, you are required to get the permission of your probation officer and/or the court. If your passport has been flagged and you do not have written permission to leave, you can be caught and you can be brought back to face a violation of your probation.
It's been my experience that trouble is more likely to find you coming into the US than getting out, though again, I cannot guarantee that you're not on some do not fly list. If you do get out, you will violate your probation and a warrant would issue for your arrest. That would mean you could never come back in.
If you plan on never coming back, it would be highly unlikely for the US to want to extradite you from your home country to make you serve a prison sentence for violating your probation only to then deport you. They have the power to do it, but in my experience, they won't.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The judge ordered to remove my brother from the US TODAY. I want to know how long does it take to deport him. he is from Morocco and he is on F1 VISA.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.
That's an entirely new question and must be posted in Immigration and open to all Immigration experts to respond.