How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 109304
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is over the age 21 that entered the USA in a tourist

Customer Question

My son is over the age 21 that entered the USA in a tourist visa, and now he wants to stay. I am a naturalized citizen living in MN. I am very confused between the petition FOR relative to immigrate and the petition for a green card application-I read all many times and more confused I got- It seems to me that I need a lawyer to make sure I apply the right forms – it is all I-130 or each of them is a different form. I made a mistake of applying for an immigrant visa when he was 15 it took 6 years to be processed. Because he spent most of his young life without me he did not followed through with what needed to be done for him to come to the USA at that time. This whole process has been very painful for both of us. Please, help my son to stay in the USA. We cannot afford to spend another several years following the right procedures; however, we don’t want him to become an illegal Alien. He is here, please help him stay.
a desperate mother.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. I can help you through this, no worries. When you filed an I-130 for him before, when was it filed? When was it approved? What country is he from? When does his stay in the U.S. expire? Also, when you filed for him, were you a Resident or a U.S. Citizen?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the I-130 was filled sometime in the early 1990 when his was around 10. We are from Brazil. I did not apply for citizenship until 2003. I was a permanent resident when i filled for him. He's stay will expire at the end of the month.
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Did he marry before you became a U.S. Citizen? Is he married now? Do you have a copy of the I-130 approval notice?
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
I do not know why you are not responding, but you are not charged per question, per response, nor per answer. So after I give you my answer, you can continue to ask me questions without additional charge until you are satisfied. I apologize if it is a site issue that you posted and the post did not go through. It is VERY important to know if he ever married and if he did, did he marry before or after you became a U.S. Citizen? Depending on what you tell me, I will either have good news or bad news. Please respond. Thank you.
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
If he did not marry before you became a U.S. Citizen, then it may be possible to file the I-485 and other forms along with a copy of the approved I-130 receipt so that he can stay in the U.S. because he has an approved I-130 with a Priority Date that should be current.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.