How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Expert James Your Own Question
Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 12191
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Expert James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I came to the U.S. In 2009 with my 3 children on k1 visa. We have just got the citi

Customer Question

Hello. I came to the U.S. In 2009 with my 3 children on k1 visa. We have just got the citizenship in April 2015. And my husband filed for divorce. He hides his income. And wants to give me and the kids nothing after divorce. I have no American education. I worked for my husband living with him. And I can't find a good job to be able to support myself and the kids. He owns a successful metal and fabrication business. Do I have any rights after divorce? Does he have any responsibilities towards me and my 3 kids? I know he had to sign the affidavit of support. Does it work after divorce? Thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am James. I will be helping you today. I do not get a salary here. But just like you, I want to get credit for doing my job. You are the only person who can help me get credit before leaving this site today. So please do not forget to do that by giving me a positive rating with 3 or more stars or any of the smiling faces. Also, if you want me to be your personal immigration Expert, just write “FOR JAMES" at the beginning of any future, new questions, and I will be happy to help you as your personal Expert. ANSWER: His obligations under the Affidavit of Support end once you all become US citizens. It is not an indefinite obligation. So as far as whether he is responsible for the means tested public benefits, he is not required to repay the cost of those. However, if you decide you want to sue for child support and spousal support, the Affidavit of Support he filed, although it is no longer valid for immigration purposes, can be used as evidence in a family child and spousal support case as proof that he took on the responsibility to care for you. So when you contact a family lawyer to help you with your child support and spousal support case, make sure you let them know you had an Affidavit of Support filed on your family's behalf. If you need a copy of that and you don't have one in your personal immigration file, you can make a FOIS request with the USCIS for a copy of your entire case file. I hope I have answered your questions. Kindly rate my customer service with a positive rating. I do not get a salary here and this is the only way I am compensated for my efforts. So please do not forget to do that before you log off. You can do that by giving me 3 or more stars, or any of the smiling faces. And you can continue to ask questions even after you have given a rating. Again, giving me a positive rating is the ONLY way I get credit for helping you. REMINDER: You are not rating the state of the law or the outcome of your situation, which I cannot control. You are rating my customer service. Believe me that I always want to give you good news. But if the outcome is not what you wanted, blame the government and the law, not me. I am only a messenger. Negative ratings are reserved for Professionals who are rude or unprofessional. Giving me a negative rating does not help you get a different answer or outcome. So do not give a negative rating if you need more help, or if I misunderstood your question. Instead click REPLY so I can continue to assist you. A BONUS is appreciated, if you feel I've earned it. If you have questions in the future, write “FOR JAMES" in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category. Thank you!
Expert:  Expert James replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,
I received a message that you reviewed my response and have responded. But I cannot see that response above.
Please post it again, so I can continue to help you and we can close this question.
Thank you!