How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 108706
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am from DR Congo but my parents are from Rwanda originally.

Customer Question

I am from DR Congo but my parents are from Rwanda originally. I fled from Congo to the US and I have been here for 3 days now. I was born in Fizi, in the eastern part of DR Congo. Because of war effects, I lost contact with my parents, brothers, and sister when I was 8. I grew up as an orphan. In 1994, I found my parents again for just 2 weeks. War and tribal conflicts rose up, soldiers cut off my father's thumb, raped my mother and sister who went blind from then. I escaped and went to start my life with the support of God. I became very successful and decided to devote my life to working as a philanthropist by supporting orphans and vulnerable children with school fees, people living with HIV, Sex Professionals, Male Sexual Men in advocacy, condom and lubricant distribution to those who never wanted to stop with such practices.
Unlikely, some politicians and soldiers had been making my life miserable for years. I escaped death for several years because these people strongly think that I was a spy working for the benefit of Rwanda. Seeing that my life kept being in a shambles, I decided to flee to the USA. So, I have decide to seek an asylum, what sould I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. I hope to be able to help you, but Asylum is not easy. Are you currently inside of the U.S.? How did you enter? What visa did you use?
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
I do not know why you are not responding, but you are not charged per question, per response, nor per answer. So after I give you my answer, you can continue to ask me questions without additional charge until you are satisfied. I apologize if it is a site issue that you posted and the post did not go through.
Are you currently inside of the U.S.? How did you enter? What visa did you use?
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Sir, I see that you are seeing my replies. if you do not respond, it makes it difficult to help you. There is a difference between Asylum and Refugee status. One is applied for within the U.S. The other is from outside of the U.S. Are you inside of the U.S.? How did you enter? How long have you been here? If you are outside of the U.S., then I have to discuss Refugee status with you. Please respond. Thank you.
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
I still don't know why you are not responding. To apply for Asylum, you must do so within the first year of entering the U.S. You will need to prove that you are at risk of persecution if returned to your country because of your race, nationality, religion, social group or political opinion. It cannot be just because you are at the same risk of becoming victim of a crime like anyone else in your country. Here is a link: If you do this, I STRONGLY recommend that you hire an attorney to start the process because the first shot before the Asylum Officer is the best shot. If the Asylum Officer denies and it goes before an Immigration Judge, it is much harder. You can look for an attorney at My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.

Related Immigration Law Questions