How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 109030
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want my friend from Ukraine to come visit me in Nevada.

Customer Question

I want my friend from Ukraine to come visit me in Nevada. How long does it take to get a visa for her, and for how long can she stay? And what is the cost?
Submitted: 2 years ago via ForeignBorn.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. It is not expensive, but be careful about sending money. There are many romance scams out there. If she tells you she has to show money in a bank account to travel, then you know it is a romance scam. Try not to send more than $300 for a visa and passport as they should not cost more than that and you buy the plane ticket. Don't let her buy it. I have seen too many scams and almost fell victim to one myself. I shouldn't even tell you to send $300. Anyway, as to her visiting, you can look at the link below for all the information that you need on the visitor visa: Essentially, she must have a valid reason for visiting, must have a way to support herself without working illegally, must have significant ties to her home country, and must have the intent to return home. A letter of invitation helps with some of this as it will help to show why she is coming to the U.S., how much time she will need and that perhaps she will have a place to stay so that she doesn't have to spend money. Usually you want to show that she is going just for a few weeks or so. If it is longer than that, immigration will wonder why and will become suspicious. They are almost sure to deny someone that says they want to visit for 5 or 6 months unless they have very strong evidences of everything else I listed above. So your letter should state why you are inviting her and that you will provide room and board while she is here visiting. But keep in mind that a letter of invitation is a small part of the process and isn't even a requirement (people mistakenly believe it is the most important) and it can sometimes be used against the applicant. For example, if the consular officer believes that the applicant will have too much support meaning that they could stay illegally in the U.S. or if there is a romantic connection, the officer would deny the visa. Sometimes it is better to not even have a letter of invitation. The most important part of a case is to have strong ties to the home country. Now as to some of the ties, she will need to show that she has significant close family at home, property not easily sold, and a good job for a good company that she has had for awhile that she would not normally abandon. So if she is young, and without much money or any property or a good job, she would probably be denied. They would see her as a risk for staying illegal. Also, persons that are planning to travel with their spouse and children are a risk as well because some of their significant ties are actually going with them. I mean some people have been approved with less, but I am trying to give you the idea for the best chance. I will provide you with two links that may be helpful. The first is to an article that will explain what they look for when issuing a non-immigrant visa like the B-2. The second is a list of things that can be presented to prove non-immigrant intent and the strong ties to the home country.,0528-schwartz.shtm I feel I must repeat, just in case, do NOT send money to her. At most, don't send more than $300. Here is link to the B-2 visa fees so you can see they aren't more than $160 and I seriously doubt that a Ukrainian passport will cost more than a U.S. Passport which is around $100 or less: My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, Guillermo. Well this is very unfortunate, it looks like she is an excellent match to be denied. We want to spend time together to see if we will move forward with the relationship and get married. I cannot leave the USA because I am out on bond for a DUI in Texas, awaiting resolution of that case. Wow.. wow wow... I may be stuck, unable for us to spend time together in person. This is a shame because we just recently decided for her to visit, since things have been going so well between us. WOW I am really up in the air here as to what I can do next. Any ideas? What would you do? Find a girl in another country or back in the USA? I really like this girl, now I cant even see her in person. What a pain.
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
She can still try to apply for a B-2 tourist visa. If they deny her, she can try again (usually she should wait 6 months before trying again). As long as she doesn't lie about anything, it would not affect her getting a different visa in the future. So for example, if once you finish the DUI situation, you are able to visit her, then you can do a K-1 fiancée visa or marry her and do a K-3 or CR-1 spouse visa. Don't let the name of the K-1 fool you. That IS the visa that is supposed to be used for her to visit to "see if things work out". If they don't, she just leaves. What it will take here is some patience. You won't be out on bond forever. So for now, have her apply for the B-2. It will take a few weeks to a month or so to process that application. If denied, maybe by then you will have finished the DUI process or be close to it and will be able to travel to see her. Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. Thank you!
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!