How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 108705
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What if I married an immigrant, it's been less than two years,

Customer Question

What if I married an immigrant, it's been less than two years, she got permanent residence, and I'm not happy with her, and I want to divorce her? And what if after I divorce her I want to marry an immigrant currently living in the USA with an expired student visa, and she's still attending school? Could I marry her after my divorce?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Very tricky. They are going to see you as a person that is just trying to help people enter the U.S. or get status. Can you prove that the first only married you to get a green card?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Prove that she used me for status? What if she moved back to Canada?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I really thought this lady was the one, but we have too many problems, and don't see eye to eye
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
It might help if she moved back to Canada and you can show that. But regardless, if you divorce and soon marry a new foreign person, they are going to wonder why you are always searching or finding foreign persons to marry instead of U.S. persons and you will have to prove that your original relationship was real but just fell apart, and you will have to prove through more evidence than normal that your new relationship is real. So yes, it is possible for you to get the new person a green card, but you will have to go through a few more hoops to do it. I recommend hiring an attorney to prepare a good case. You can look for one at My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.