Immigration Law

Immigration Law Questions? Ask an Immigration Lawyer.

Immigration Law

I am an Italian National living in India. My wife is

Customer Question
Hello, I am an Italian National...
I am an Italian National living in India. My wife is moving to US with a J1 Visa. I have two options to move to US:
1) My current American Company can apply for a L-type visa (since I work for them for more than two years)
2) I can take a J2 visa and ask for a EAD then look for a job
Questions:
1) I may be eligible for both L1a and L1b. Which is the best? I am not worried for the timeline as I plan to leave US in max three years. If I need to change status (in case my company fires me) is there any difference if I am on L1a or L1b?
2) Is the history of my visa going to affect the approval to get future visas? (i.e. the fact of being in US on a Technical L1b will make it more difficult to get a future manager visa?)
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Immigration Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/17/2015
Immigration Lawyer: Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 13 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. Is your spouse's J-1 subject to 212(e), the requirement that she go home for two years after she is done? If she is, has she used the J-1 yet?
I do not know why you are not responding, but you are not charged per question, per response, nor per answer. So after I give you my answer, you can continue to ask me questions without additional charge until you are satisfied. I apologize if it is a site issue that you posted and the post did not go through. Let's go one at a time: 1) I may be eligible for both L1a and L1b. Which is the best? I am not worried for the timeline as I plan to leave US in max three years. If I need to change status (in case my company fires me) is there any difference if I am on L1a or L1b? L-1A has a maximum time of 7 years in the U.S. and can easily lead into a green card. Here is a link: http://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/permanent-workers/employment-based-immigration-second-preference-eb-2 The L-1B has a maximum of 5 years in the U.S. and it is not so easy to get into a green card. 2) Is the history of my visa going to affect the approval to get future visas? (i.e. the fact of being in US on a Technical L1b will make it more difficult to get a future manager visa?) If your wife has not used the J-1 and you have not used the J-2, I would avoid using them if they are subject to 212(e) because if she uses it and you use a J-2, then neither of you will be able to get Residency unless you go home for 2 years or get a very hard to get waiver. As far as you getting L-1B and then qualifying for a managerial position, it is possible, but complicated because you have to have at least 6 months of that experience before you can qualify for L-1A. If you can get into L-1A now, you should do so. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! When we are done, if you would be so kind as to leave a positive rating for my service, I would sincerely ***** ***** You can even ask additional questions without additional charge even after leaving a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding.
Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.